Friday, September 10, 2010

How did this happen?



Conditions at 6:30 - cloudy and 16*
Expected later - rain and 18*

When did I get this old? I received an email from my friend Cheryl last week. I had emailed her when I was moving and we don't keep in touch that often but she emailed to update me on what's going on in her life. She said she didn't want to lose that connection. I decided to respond the old fashioned way - snail mail. So I sat down and wrote her a letter and in it I mentioned our retirement plans and how soon we hope that might happen. As I put the words to paper, it struck me - where has the time gone? I met Cheryl in college and now we're talking about retirement? It just can't be! I suppose if I'd lived in the same place for any length of time I might have been more aware of the years passing by. But moving as often as I have, and reinventing my life as often as I have, you lose track of just how much time has gone by. But I must say, it's never been boring.

Last night Brenda and I went over to the school to see the home ec facilities. It's better than I could have imagined, now all we have to do is figure out some ideas. Registration is about a week and a half away so I'd better get my act together. I'll spend some time on that on Saturday. I have some ideas but I need to put together more concrete information. Brenda has given me some valuable feedback on what students might like to see.

Yesterday was not nearly as busy at work so it was really nice. The accounting department has given me some little jobs to do on a daily basis, which is great, but I had been having trouble finding the time to get them done. I think things were so busy as people were getting ready for back to school and probably some preparing in advance for the fall. I suspect as we get further into fall, it will get busier as people bring their cars in to get winter tires installed, and general preparation for the winter. I'm going to get a price from our parts department on studded winter tires. I think I'll feel much better driving into town every morning.

My chimney repairs have been completed. It was supposed to be a rainy day yesterday but it actually turned out warm and sunny. In fact it was quite humid in the afternoon and even though the temperature was only 22, it felt much hotter. Now my woodstove is all set up again and ready for the cold weather. But with any luck at all, I won't need it for a while yet. But it is nice to be able to light a fire when it gets damp outside, just to take the chill off.

Yesterday morning I went to Superstore to find a lunch bag as I gave mine to Lloyd to carry frozen fish home. I found a perfect bag! It's an insulated bag on the bottom and the small top is like a back pack where I can put my wallet, etc so I don't need to take a purse to work. I have everything all in one bag. It's absolutely perfect. So thank you Lloyd, for taking the other one home.

Well, I'd better go and get my garbage bin dragged down the lane.

1 comment:

  1. Will you be offering your classes online as well? I wish, that would be soo much fun to take classes at community school with you! Hope you have lots of fun planning and teaching!

    -Meghan

    ReplyDelete