Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I think I've finally got it sorted out



Conditions at 6:30 - overcast and 12*
Expected later - 17* and showers

Since starting my new job it's been a challenge to get my morning routine worked out. I had a very set schedule prior to this job and it's amazing what a half hour earlier start can do to mess that up. We really are such creatures of habit.

In the past I got up at 5:00, showered and dressed and did any tidying that might need to be done (translation - if I didn't do the dishes the night before, I'd do them in the morning). Then I would leave the house by 6:15 to 6:30 which at that time of day gets me to town a little before 7:00. Stop at Timothy's to have a coffee and write my blog. Then a quick drive to the Superstore to pick up a salad for lunch, then across the road to the University.

Now I start at 8:00 but in reality I need to be there by 7:45. The first shuttle run is at precisely 8:00 and I need to get my computer turned on and signed in (so I can get paid) before leaving so there is no other option. I could just leave earlier in the morning, which would not be a problem but now I work until5:30, getting me home around 6:15. That makes just too long a day for poor Cooper so that doesn't work either.

So now I don't leave till about 6:50, which gets me into town around 7:30, allowing time for a quick stop at the store if I need it. Now I get up at 5:00 and shower and dress, make my lunch, cook some oatmeal in the microwave and write my blog while eating it. Then I leave around 6:50 (any later and I get caught up behind those pesky school buses!) which gets me into town around 7:30 with enough time for a quick stop at the grocery store if I need anything there (as long as they still open at 7:00).

It's taken a couple of weeks to work it all out but now it's becoming my usual routine. Now not only am I saving money, I'm eating healthier, but I do miss Timothy's a little. It was such a part of my morning for the past year. But life marches on, just not always in the direction we would like, but I suppose if that's all I have to complain about, life is pretty good!

It looks like I'm going to Guelph for Thanksgiving weekend. Patti and Greg are going away for their anniversary and I'm going to stay with the kids. ( I suppose we could let Lloyd stay with us as well!) I'll need a list of who needs to be driven where, as I'm sure they are as busy as ever.

I was going to call Brenda when I got home last night and see if she wanted to go for a walk but I was really crabby when I got home so I worked out my negative energy by vacuuming out the car - something that's needed doing all summer. I called Brenda later and she'd had a stressful day so we both decided to just go and pour ourselves a drink then go to bed.

Now it's another day and it's all good again. We get the chance to go out and do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment