Thursday, September 23, 2010

My secret is out!


Conditions at 6:00 - a very bright full moon shining and 13*
Expected later - Mix of sun and cloud and 15*

Thanks to an anonymous comment yesterday (but we all know who it came from) my secret is out. I have zero math skills. Scary to think that I used to reconcile the books for Lloyd's business.  Math was never my strong point, in fact it was a sore spot all through high school.
When I was near the end of grade 12, my math teacher called me in for a meeting. He pointed out that my final math mark was 29%. Quite frankly, I think we were both a little surprised it was THAT high.
So he sat me down and asked me what my plans were for the coming year. I told him I had already been accepted at Sheridan College to study Early Childhood Education. He suggested that I might not need a lot of math skills for that career and my response was "Gosh, I sure hope not". So in light of the fact that keeping me back another year because I failed math didn't seem like an option, he gave me a passing grade on my final. I will always be grateful to that teacher who recognized that not everyone is good at some things and they can still go on to be fully functioning members of society without algebra and geometry.

Each day when I drive into the Honda parking lot, I feel like I'm entering an episode of the old TV show  "This is your life".  At the back of the Honda building is a Cooperators Claims unit. I spent several years in the claims department at Coop in Toronto and Mississauga.
Then beyond the building and the back parking lot sits a church. Inside this church is a day care centre. So every day I see kids out on the playground and I have memories (not all of them fond) of cold days standing out on a similar playground in Timmins. The day nurseries act in Ontario requires that the children be taken outside every day, even on the coldest days. And of course the people who live there are used to being outside and expect the same for their kids. No keeping these kids in because it's -25* in the middle of the afternoon. But it doesn't have to be for a long time. Do you have any idea how much work it is to dress 15 toddlers in snow suits, boots, hats, mits, to stay outside for 20 minutes then bring them inside and undress them all. Now you have 15 wet snowsuits, hats and mits  because most of them spent their entire 20 minutes falling in the snow. At least the older kids could do some of the dressing and undressing themselves.  Then in the spring and summer it was the blackflies Timmins is famous for.  Can't say I miss those aspects of the job.

Then yesterday I drove a lady out to the Provincial Jail. I had no idea where it was located but now I know. We chatted about corrections (she worked in some aspect of parole) and she asked if I had ever considered returning to that field. I told her it never occurred to me because I've been out of the field for a number of years and I know they require a correctional officer training program before they hire you. But she suggested that was not always the case.  She seemed to think it was an  option.  Who knows, if this driving thing doesn't work out, it is another door to explore. But in reality I really like my new job and I think they're happy with me.  Although I am on probation for 6 months so we'll see at that time. But I'm not worried about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment