Thursday, September 30, 2010

Glad I dodged THAT bullet!


Conditions at 6:00 am - overcast and16*
Expected later - mix of sun and cloud and 23*

Once again yesterday it was a beautiful afternoon. It's hard to believe all this unseasonably warm weather but we'll take all that Mother Nature wants to give us. 
On Tuesday morning I was driving to work and thinking about the upcoming cooking class, and had the radio on to Magic 93.1, a local radio station here on the island.  I wasn't paying much attention until I heard them say something about "Abbey from Capital Honda".  That caught my attention.
They have this thing going on right now called "The Funny Phone" when they call a local business with a crank call, to see how the person on the other end reacts.  As I listen every morning, I think to myself, what if they called me?  My job when I'm in the office is to answer the phone, but Abbey or Craig, or whoever gets to it first, answers it when I'm not there.
Sure enough, Monday they called and I was out, so Abbey answered. The announcer disguised his voice to that of an old guy and he wanted to know who the owner was. Then he wanted to know how old she was and if she remembered what used to be in that location. Turns out it used to be a roller rink. This guy was telling Abbey that there was a time capsule buried under what is now the service bay. He was wanting to know who he should speak to about coming in and digging up the time capsule. 
As I heard Abbey talking to this guy I thought, oh my gosh, that should have been me and I'm so glad it wasn't. I was on my way to the store to look for basil, so while I was there I went to the bakery and picked up an eclair for her. When I got to work she was already there, so I told her I bought her a little treat for fielding that call, that should have been mine.

**************************************************

I have to say I'm really enjoying my new job.  I'm really liking chatting with people. Most are quite willing to chat but once in a while you get one who just doesn't seem to want to talk, and that's okay too.  But most are quite friendly and I love hearing everyone's stories. Some stories are are not so happy and it makes you realize how lucky you are to have the life you have. Sometimes we just need to be reminded.

I've gotten some positive feedback from a couple of places. One day a lady met the bosses wife at the gym and gave her some nice compliments on the new shuttle driver. Then earlier this week I had a lady compliment be on my efficiency and then yesterday one of the service guys told me he'd had a lady comment that the new reception person was much nicer than the last one. So I think I'm doing an okay job. I really think it's my dollar store clip board.  The second day I was there I got a call from a man stating "Hi, it's John. You dropped me off at work this morning and now I need a ride back"  Now in the first two weeks, it was very, very busy and I dropped off six to eight people each morning. I had no idea which one was John or where I dropped him off. So I decided I needed to get more organized. So I picked up a clipboard at the dollar store and printed off a form I'd made just to record the persons name, the address where I was dropping them, a contact phone number and whether or not they needed to be picked up. Now when John or Mary call, I know exactly who they are and where they were.  It's just my feeble attempt to stay organized and it's making me look good. I usually call the person ahead of time if we had set a particular time just to confirm I'm on the way. I don't think it's a big deal, but people seem to really appreciate it. It's just the kind of service I'd like to get as a customer. 

*****************************************************

Last night was the wine and cheese party. The turn out was not great, but those who were there enjoyed themselves. Brenda got there for a little bit at the end. Dave and Fay and Susan where there and I sat with them.  Margie was there singing and we chatted about guitar lessons. We're going to put it off until November so I think I will work on learning some basic chords and try to toughen up my fingers so I can start learning new stuff right away. I have the basic instruction book that Lloyd was using. Now I just have to set aside some time everyday to do that . It works best if I set aside the same time each day to do some practice. I took lessons many, many years ago (Patti was 2) and I used to practice after my husband left for work in the morning and before the kids I was babysitting everyday arrived. That was my practice window.  Now I just need to find one of those windows of time again.  I guess I could do it in the morning but I'd have to start getting up at 4:30 - not!

**********************************************************

Well, it's official. Our chapter of  IAAP is officially disbanding. It's too bad but it's hard for the same 6 people to keep it going. We can still belong to the association as members at large if we choose to.  Next year the National conference is in Moncton and I know the Cambridge girls are looking forward to coming over to the island.  I plan to have some sort of BBQ or maybe a lobster boil or something and last night I was thinking about it and I'd love to have sort of a kitchen party and I'd really like it if Margie could come over and sing for us. Maybe I could even convince Karl from the University to come out and play his fiddle. If we're not careful this could turn into a party! Fortunately I've thought of it early enough to plan something. Usually I come up with these great ideas after the fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment