Thursday, September 2, 2010

An emergency averted!



Conditions at 6:00 - 23* and the sun is just starting to come up
Expected later - 31* and sunny

This seems like a forcast for the middle of July, not the second day of September. It was so hot yesterday, and all I could think about when I got home was, I truly hope Raymond can get the water running because I really need a shower. I stopped at the Van Gaals and picked up a jug of water on my way home from work, so I could at least wash, but I was so warm, I just really wanted to stand under some nice cool flowing water. I worked around the house a bit, until Raymond got here and when he did get here he got out of the truck carrying a large red gas can. He was headed straight for the cellar when I went outside. I looked at the gas can and he looked me straight in the eye and said " I don't have time to fix it tonight, so I brought some gas, I thought we could just burn the whole thing down and start again with the insurance money". At that point the prospect of fire trucks with hoses filled with cool water sounded pretty tempting, but fortunately he was just carrying water. In a few minutes he came back upstairs and headed back to the truck with his gas can. I braced myself for the bad news. I asked how things were going and he said "You can run your water now". Seriously? That was the best thing I'd heard all week.

We chatted a bit about it and decided he will get a price on a new pump and put it in when he has time, rather than waiting till it dies and it becomes an emergency and a huge inconvenience for everyone.

I called Lloyd at Trish's and told him the good news, and then chatted with Trish. I can't believe it's over a year since we last talked. I'm sure she'll be glad to get the doll house out of her spare room. They are headed to Quebec City today and to stay over night. Then to the island tomorrow.

It appears we will likely have some pretty serious weather on Saturday. I'm not sure how my little shelter is going to fare, but we'll see. I suppose if it survives this weekend, it should be okay over the winter. But then last year we were supposed to get hurricane weather, but it was little more than a typical PEI rain storm. Let's hope this one is no worse.

I had one of those mornings yesterday when I had a moment when I thought out loud - I love my job! It was early in the morning so not quite so hot, and I drove a lady out to St. Peter's Road. Turns out she grew up in Sudbury. We had a grand time chatting about our northern Ontario experience. Her mother is from the island but married a main lander and ended up in Sudbury - as she described it "Not quite the armpit of the world". I agreed, adding that it might not be, but you can see it from there. Her family moved to the island when she and her sister were teenagers and they hated it. But she ended up staying and loves it. She mentioned that she went back to Sudbury for a school reunion a couple of years ago, and she absolutely hated it. But really, there is absolutely NO comparison.

I'm really enjoying chatting with people and finding out where they came from and what brought them here. The driving around is a bit tedious with all the construction but it's still okay. I'm quickly learning easier and faster ways to circumvent the traffic.

Is it possible I've gotten rid of my present rodent population? No new kills to report this morning. All traps and peanut butter remain untouched this morning. I'll leave them out for a few more days and we'll see if others come in from outside looking for their friends who never turned up when expected.

Yesterday was Meghan's final horse show so I can't wait to call her this morning and find out how she finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment