Friday, April 8, 2011

Finally Friday



Conditions at 5:30 am: lots of stars and -3'
Expected later: 2' and maybe a few flurries

Well it's finally Friday. It seems like it's been a long week but I'm starting to feel better.  Other than getting the warp on my loom I've not done a single thing all week.  I guess that's one of the joys of living alone - it doesn't matter to anyone if you just sit and veg for a few nights.

It's still quite chilly although the sun is nice when you get out of the wind, but looking ahead, next week should start warming up.  Now that most of the snow is gone from the yard I'm getting a little itchy to get outside and so some cleaning up. I suppose there's no excuse for not getting out now but this week I just haven't had the energy but hopefully next week it will be warmer and I can go out after work and get some stuff done. Just picking up the branches that have fallen off the trees over the winter will take a while. I'm sure Tristen will be a big help with that if we tell him he's picking up sticks to build a bon fire. It's only one more week and they'll be here. Guess I'd better get my act together and get ready for them. I had planned to bake a batch of bread before they come but maybe I'll do that while they're here.

Got an email from Patti yesterday with this picture. I knew she and Greg were going to Vegas but I just couldn't remember when, so you can imagine my surprise when I opened the photo and there they are in the Grand Canyon!  Hope you guys are having a great time.
Today the home show starts in town so I'm meeting the Van Gaals in town tonight and we're going to do the home show and Burger Love. What is Burger Love you ask?  Here's what the CBC has to say about it

Burger lovers recruited by local farmers

Beef farmers on P.E.I. have teamed up with Island chefs to recruit burger lovers to cause of eating locally.
Fourteen restaurants are participating in the promotion, creating special burgers from Island beef and inviting diners to vote for their favourite. Chef Irwin MacKinnon hopes it gets people thinking about where their food comes from.
"It's going to make them think twice whenever they go to some of the larger places to buy their beef. Where did it come from?" said MacKinnon.
Beef farmer Glen Jay believes the industry is turning around. The promotion may be well timed as it appears prices for beef, which have been very low for years, may finally be recovering. The grand prize winner at the Island's Easter Beef Show earned $7.25 a pound at auction Friday, about $2 a pound more than last year.
"It's lot higher than it has been the last five years really and I think it's a great sign of the beef industry improving," said farmer Glen Jay, who raised the grand prize winner.
"It's great to see some positive things for a change."
The improvement has not come without pain in the industry. The number of beef farmers has dropped dramatically.
"It's all based on supply and demand," said beef farmer Joanne Mutch.
"The supply is just maybe not there as much as it was in the past."
The P.E.I. Burger Love promotion will run through the month of April.

Check out the website - diners get to vote on which burgers they liked best so there will need to be some research done over the next few weeks! Something tells me Lloyd will be all over this one.

http://www.peiburgerlove.ca/

1 comment:

  1. I certainly see a lot of burgers in my future.yum!!!!!

    ReplyDelete