Monday, April 25, 2011

It's very quiet around here now.



Conditions at 5:30 am: 0' - clear and frosty but there are birds singing!
Expected later: 11' and mostly sun with 5km/hr winds - does it get any more perfect?

At the airport on his way home!
It's looking like this afternoon (after work) might be a great time to do some work outside. We were busy on Saturday when it was really nice and Sunday was pretty windy so today might be a good day.
It's very quiet around here now that the big guy and the little guy are gone home. Yesterday afternoon I decided to have a short nap on the couch when I got home. Two hours later I woke up.

Finally under way
I had multiple things I could so once I did wake up,  and I chose to try getting the loom up and running. And I did. I think I've got the hang of it and it's starting to take shape. I also sat and watched the video, which I really should have done before as the warping performance that Brenda and I went through should not have happened. Turns out it really is much easier once you know what you SHOULD be doing. I know, I know, read the instructions first!  But the next one will be easier. But now that it's all set up it's going well. It's going to take quite a while to weave seven yards of warp but anticipating doing the next project is gong to keep me at it, a little each day, as well as reaching the end of each placemat. It's actually a very relaxing process once you get into the rhythm.

Well. Lloyd got quite a bit done while he was here, in spite of some miserable weather and a couple of sick days. But there's always something so at least he won't get bored once he moves here. Some things had to be put off till next time but that's okay. The things I really needed done were accomplished.

On the way to the airport, I asked Tristen what his favorite parts of the week were. He replied "The fishing, the marshmallow roasting and Easter bunny".  That really meant a lot to me. When I was growing up, my grandparents lived a long ways away, and most were deceased when I was very young anyway. I really only had one grandmother who lived till I was older and I only met her a couple of times. I always felt a little cheated not having a relationship with any grandparents. That's why it's very important for me to spend some quality time with each of the kids so they have those memories. I know that Tristen will always remember going fishing for smelts with his grandparents and the three of them will have fond memories of visiting their grandparents house on PEI. That's what I really want for them.  I know it won't be long before they are older and going to visit their grandparents will become a chore or something they feel they have to do, and it's important to me that they have those fond experiences while they are still young enough for it to matter to them.

We had a good week at although it was tough for Lloyd from time to time. Little kids are loud, there's just no two ways about it. If he doesn't have his hearing aids in, it's very hard to have a conversation and with them in, the boisterousness of an active little boy is very hard to cope with. But we all managed and the only time Tristen complained was to tell me "I miss my buddies and friends". I know he was looking forward to being all by himself but the reality of it is, that it's kind of lonely without other kids to play with. But I'm really glad he was able to come.

If my firewood arrives by the May long weekend, hopefully Lloyd will be back and that's only a month away. I'll check on that this evening.

1 comment:

  1. Wow the weaving looks great. it must feel good to get it started...and you say there was an easier way??

    ReplyDelete