Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter everyone!


The "Pisquid HAM-burger"
Well, it's Saturday morning and the sun is shining and the temperatures are mild. We got up yesterday morning (Friday) to sunshine and chilly temperatures. After breakfast, we headed out to Belfast. We spent a little bit of time there, touring the milling operation and petting the animals - 2 llamas,  2 alpacas, a cow and a sheep. There were also quite a few goats and some babies, but they were too far away to pet. We didn't stay too long as they were getting busy setting up for the summer season. We will for sure be back in the summer. On our way home we toured down a couple of side roads and then headed home. We had invited Brenda and Bernie, Caitlin, Darlen and Richard to come for supper. Only trouble is I decided most of this on my way home from work on Thursday and of course, nothing was open on Friday. Fortunately Coopers in Belfast was open and I was able to get some things that I needed. We planned on BBQ'ing burgers and took it a step further and served "The Pisquid Burger" - local island beef, served on a bun first slathered in garlic aioli, then a layer of thin ham, topped with carmelized onions and the beef, stuffed with cheddar and grilled to perfection. We did a pasta salad and potato salad to complete the menu. I was a little behind schedule when everyone arrived as my sous chef was away for part of the afternoon and I had some not so helpful help, but it turned out great. The burger was very well received and was really good.  Daralen had brought the Pina Colada cake she had bought last weekend and froze, and we enjoyed that for dessert.

Scooping the fish out of the water
Caught some!
This morning we had just finished breakfast when Bernie called to say the smelts were running in the stream by his place. So we picked up a dipping net at his place and headed out. Once Tristen got the idea of scooping the fish out of the water, he had a great time! We half filled a large pot and brought them home to have for lunch later. Lloyd planned to clean the smelts and Tristen and I went back over to Fort Augustus to go to the playground. Little did we know there was going to be an Easter Egg hunt and we arrived to a park filled with kids and just a few too minutes too late to find any eggs. Needless to say he was quite disappointed and no longer wanted to stay and play. Instead we went home and I made him stay inside while I hid some eggs around the yard outside. I had bought some plastic eggs with little packages of chewy fruit candy inside and he quite enjoyed going around the yard and finding the egs. It helped to alleviate the stress of having to wait for Easter.

"Stay calm fishies, just say calm"
This afternoon we are going into town to hear Bob and some other musicians at the Globe and Caitlin is taking him with her to Montague. She is working at the polling booth at the Rec Centre on election day and has to pick up some stuff for it. So she has agreed to taking him with her, which will be much more fun and better on his little ear drums than where we aregoing. I also want to pick up a couple more things in town that I don't need him to be around for! He asked me the other day why I have never bought him a cook book like his brother. I suggested I could get him one for his birthday and he said "Or you could buy me one for Easter". So a stop at Indigo is needed before tomorrow.

Dinner!
Have a really Happy Easter everyone and I'll be back on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment