Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What an inspiration!


Conditions at 5:30 am: 4' and overcast
Expected later: 7' and light rain

Yesterday morning I dropped by the WEAVER'S Guild to drop off Sheila's DVD. Of course, while I was there she toured me around and showed me what everyone was working on as it seems to change every week. Claude, the lady I met at Sheila's house was working on a very loosely woven shawl made with very light pastel colours of boucle yarn and it was absolutely gorgeous. I totally have to make one of those. Then I met Libby. Now this is where it gets really interesting. She's working on a rag run. The warp is thin strands of very strong linen fibres and the weft is strips of T shirt material in various colours. She's making it rainbow colours and it works it's way from purple to blue to green and will continue on to yellow, orange and then red but all in slightly muted colours as a real rainbow doesn't have bright red, for example. She collected T shirt from thrift shops until she had just the colours she wanted and the tore them all in strips. When they are torn they automatically roll into almost a bias tape shape, making them perfect for weaving into a traditional rag rug. That opens up all kinds of possibilities. She has even done some with strips torn from old blue jeans. Now that would be a very sturdy rug. I can't wait to finish my placemats so I can move on to another project. The possibilities are endless. I'm also remembering the beautiful scarf that Rosie had at UPEI that was woven with silk fibres. I was stunning and so incredibly soft. I guess that was the inspiration that struck when I first saw the ad for the  loom.

I finally talked to Lloyd last night. Everything went well on the flight back, although we had packed all of Tristen's toys in the side pocket of his suitcase and the they put all the bags on the sky check so they had nothing to do on the flight home. Of course with it being such a small plane, there was no movie or anything either. Congratulations to you Lloyd for keeping him entertained for two hours. I also need to send out a big Thank You to Caitlin (and Ethan) for looking after him a couple of times, which allowed us to spend some time together, out with friends.

I ordered my fire wood last night and he tells me there should be no problem getting it here by the long weekend. He doesn't sell any that's blocked so I guess Lloyd will have to do it.

One very proud little boy
This breaking news just in:
I opened my email and there's a picture from Patti. It seems the Speed skating club had their year end party last night and James won an award for Junior Athlete of the Year. It was a total surprise for them and as she said, if she'd had any idea he was going to get an award, she would have dressed him a little less casually! Well done James! I also got an email from Meghan telling me that she got "11 pb's" at the party.  I have no idea what that means but she's going to call me tonight and tell me all about it.

Well, better go for now and get ready for work. I did sleep in slightly this morning and I'm a little behind schedule. The good news seems to be there's no freezing rain as predicted so that's a great way to start the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment