Wednesday, August 10, 2011

It's feeling like fall - even though it's only August




Conditions at 5:30 am: overcast and 15'
Expected later: 19' and drizzle this afternoon

It's quite dark now when my alarm goes off at 5:00 and it's harder and harder to drag yourself out of bed when it's still night!Why is it on the weekend we have no trouble getting up early but during the week, it's a chore? I guess it's because you're usually getting up early on the weekend to do something fun. Perhaps another reason I'm feeling a little 'fallish' is because yesterday at lunch I went to the dollar store to pick up a couple of little things. I'm just getting used to the fact that all the back to school stuff is in the store - well in the dollar store, they have all the fall and Halloween stuff! Pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns everywhere! Please - we're still waiting for summer to arrive.

What a nice surprise to come home to last night. There was a message on my answering machine from Lianne, who is my god daughter. Her mom and I met in college and she and Norm got married between our first year and second years at school. I have fond memories of going to their first apartment with two other friends, Debbie and Livvy for dinner - we all felt so grown up, dining with married friends. Gosh that was a million years ago. Anyway, Lianne and her husband and kids are vacationing on the island and called in hopes of getting together at some point before they leave. I was hopeful that they would call again last night but they didn't so I'm going to take a tip from Brenda and change my phone message  to include my cell phone number. Hopefully we can make contact that way.

Well, it turns out Brenda and company made the right decision and postponed their departure until yesterday. We had a little bit of drizzle from time to time but for the most part it was a dry day here on the island. Monday's weather would have made for a pretty nasty ride. So she'll be back sometime today and  we'll possibly go out to the old time dance at Lorn Valley tonight. I'm just waiting to hear back from Donna to see if she's going, although I suppose we could still go even if she's not. We has such a good time last year and Caitlin would like to see what it's all about.

Check this out. Yesterday I was reading online about the last two shows in the McCartney tour this summer and I came across the link for the camera at Abbey Road. I looked at it several years ago but they've improved the camera and it's much better quality feed. It's quite funny to watch people trying to dodge traffic to get a photo in the middle of the famous cross walk. I know what that's like - I have pictures of both Patti and I crossing but you really have to be careful. It is a crosswalk, but motorists expect you to keep walking when you enter it but of course, not all of us do. Check it out.

The Crossing - Abbey Road Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment