Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The new hired hand!




Conditions at 5:15 am: rain and 17'
Expected later: rain all day and evening and 21'

Boys and their toys
It's going to be a rainy kind of day but the rest of the week is looking great. I dropped James off at his camp yesterday and explained all about how to get to Toyota on the trail but unfortunately they won't let him leave by himself. I guess I can understand that. I have to pick him up and sign him out so he has to stay till I get there at 5:15. I went over at lunch time yesterday to drop off some sun screen and he didn't seem very happy. But when I went to get him at 5:00 he was better. I think the first morning was a little bit hard not knowing anyone. They played soccer on the Canada Games Place field in the afternoon and he scored his teams only goal so that made him feel pretty good. It didn't help that there are two hockey camps going on in the two rinks and their lunch room overlooks one of the rinks. I said to him at lunch "I bet you'd rather be down there" and he just shook his head yes, but he was in much better spirits when I picked him up, so I think it will be fine.
The sous chef at work
We stopped at the store to pick up some things for his lunches and got some corn on the cob to go with our burgers for supper. It was threatening rain when we got home but hadn't started yet so we worked on wood for a little bit before supper. James is getting quite a thrill out of driving the lawn tractor. The trouble is his legs are too short to reach the clutch so when he sits on the edge of the seat to start it, the seat lifts up and the machine shuts off. So I have to hold the seat down so he can get it going but then I have to be there to hold it down when he goes to stop as well. It's not ideal but it's working and he's having a great time with it. So we only did a couple of  wagon loads and stacked them in  the tent before we called it a night and came in to make supper. While I got the burgers on cooking and the water boiling for the corn he sat outside on the front step and husked the corn. After we ate, he helped with the dishes and we were done just in time to watch Big Bang Theory. I think I've created a new fan. He finds Sheldon's character really funny. When that was over we found him a book to read, as he finished the one he brought, and it was time for bed. I woke up just before the alarm and I didn't hit snooze so I think I may have finally caught up on my sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun!! What about putting a bungee cord across the back of the seat and attach the ends to either side of the fenders? might work and save some work for Grandma...

    Hope James likes the camp better today!
    -Meghan

    ps... the Macarons went pretty quickly here!

    ReplyDelete