Friday, August 5, 2011

They're still here


Conditions at 5:15 am: 12' and overcast but the sun is just peeking out over the tops of the trees on the other side of the river
Expected later: 19' and mix of sun and cloud

Not my photo...
Just now (at 5:15) when I went outside to let the dog in I actually went all the way outside instead of just opening the door and I saw two bats swooping around the top of the house. In fact one flew so close to my head I could hear the air in it's wings as it flew by. I haven't seen any bats since the first summer here and I was concerned they had moved on but apparently I just haven't been outside at the right time of day. I would frequently see them in the summer of 2009 as I was leaving very early to work at the golf course but I'm not typically outside that early anymore, so it was quite a welcome sight to see them. I know they're not everyone's favorite creature but I find them absolutely fascinating. Plus they eat mosquitoes - it's a veritable buffet for them here!

Well, yesterday when I came back from lunch, one of the girls at work was filling in for me and she was online looking at real estate as she's thinking of downsizing. When she went back to her desk, I got poking around the site just to see what's out there and I was amazed at the vacation properties that are reasonably priced.  That got me to thinking, what if we (the Dennison's and us) bought a cottage? Then it would be there for anyone's use during the summer and when it wasn't being used it could be rented out. I found one particular interesting place that's "off the grid" so to speak, except for the telephone. Check it out.
http://www.calvinmol.com/Cardigan/Prince_Edward_Island/Homes/Glenfanning/Agent/Listing_41470201.html
Then I found another one that's near Bonshaw, withing walking distance of the beach, fully furnished.
http://www.calvinmol.com/Canoe_Cove/Prince_Edward_Island/Cabins_and_Cottages/Canoe_Cove/Agent/Listing_38783337.html
I really like the location of this one as it's only 30 km to Charlottetown, and near the amusement park in Bonshaw, so there would be lots for kids to do in the area.

Then I found this one in Savage Harbour, that's only a few minutes away from us.
http://www.calvinmol.com/Morell_St_Peters/Prince_Edward_Island/Cabins_and_Cottages/Savage_Harbour/Agent/Listing_39765458.html
I really think it's worth thinking about. It would mean taking "going to the cottage for the weekend" to a whole different level.Anyway, it's something to think about. We'll chat when the Dennison family comes down.

Last night I had to decide if I would spend the evening cutting grass or stacking wood and I chose wood. I got some done but there is still LOTS to do. But I'll just keep chipping away at it and before I know it, the job will be done. I'll enlist James' help when he gets here. Let's see if he's as  good a wood stacker as his little brother. Tristen did an amazing job when he was here at Easter.

Today is the wedding of one of Meghan's(1) friends so Brenda and I are going to meet up after I finish work and have something to eat on Victoria Row, then we can walk to the Confed Centre to see everyone arriving in their finery for the reception. It's supposed to be a nice day today so that's a good thing for them.

Sunday I'm planning to go to Nova Scotia to visit with Nancy. She's going to be there for a week to visit her sister and brother. I'm not sure yet where we're going to meet. She suggested we meet somewhere in between but I don't see a lot of choices. I had thought it might be nice to go to Chives in Halifax as I'd really like to try that one but they don't open until 5:00 pm so that's not really an option. So we'll have to settle on something else. I'll see if there's anything in Truro that might be nice. It will be great to see her. I told her next year she should plan her trip during lobster season. I know she loves lobster!

1 comment:

  1. The Saltscapes restaurant and there is a beautiful Victoria Park and off course the Cow College

    ReplyDelete