Monday, August 8, 2011

A mini holiday...



Conditions at 5:20 am: raining and 19'
Expected later; what we see is what well get - 19' and rain

Not a single moose was spotted
After spending all afternoon Saturday cutting grass after work, I was ready for a little R and R on Sunday. The day was cloudy but the sun broke out just as I was crossing the bridge – but only on the island side. The New Brunswick side was foggy and hazy. But at least it wasn’t raining and it was easier on the eyes than bright sunshine so really, conditions for travel were great. I’d left home quite early and had way more time than I needed. After passing into Nova Scotia, I saw an exit for Springhill and thought to myself, I should really do that tour sometime. Then a little further down the road there was another exit for Springhill so I decided, what the heck, I’ll turn off and see how far off the highway it is. Turns out it was only 5 kms so that’s where I headed. It’s a small, typically maritime town and  when I spotted a Tim’s I turned in to get something to eat. After enjoying a toasted bagel and a milk, you can imagine my surprise to find that
1) the Anne Murray Centre is right next door to Tim’s and
2) it was open.
So I headed inside for what turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. It’s totally self guided and she has certainly had a remarkable career.  The centre is very well done and well worth a visit for fans of her music.

From there, I made my way to Truro and found the restaurant with no trouble. I walked in and looked around a bit at the General Store then decided I'd wait outside in the car so I could see Nancy when she arrived. I had  a book with me and it didn't take any time at all until she got there.
The photographer could have mentioned my 'bad' hair!
We went inside and sat at a table in front of the window and spent considerable time catching up with what's been happening in our lives, our friends lives, our kids lives, etc, etc. Eventually we ordered our lunch. The food was good but the portions were huge. We both ordered the Seafood Casserole - a rich creamy sauce  filled to the brim with shrimps, scallops, lobster and fish, topped with  cheese and baked in the oven. On the side we had a baked potato and salad (we had a choice of two sides from quite an extensive list). Nancy wasn't able to finish hers but, as usual, I was. I know for a fact it certainly wasn't diet food so it will be back to basics today. We had a lovely time but all too soon it was time to go. After getting some photos and saying our good byes, and picking up a cookbook in the gift shop (which she insisted on paying for as a birthday gift - but would not let me pay for lunch as I had planned - but don't worry, I won't get mad, I'll just get even!) we parted company. I wished her a happy birthday again (as it was actually her birthday yesterday) and headed down the road.

It was about an hour to the ferry and I did see a sign that mentioned that the exit for the PEI ferry was 1.5 km. Apparently I missed it because after driving for a good 10 to 15 kms I thought, this can't be right. I seemed to be getting further and further into the highlands and there was nothing in sight - just trees and more trees. I had a feeling I was gone too far but then what if the exit is just around the next corner? So I got on my phone and was relieved to be rescued once again by Brenda. They were out kayaking and I can't believe we both had service. She was able to determine that yes, I had in fact, gone too far. SO I turned around and beat it back the way I'd come. Sure enough a little while back there was the exit I had missed. I sped around the corner and out to the ferry. Now I understand the island concept of "racing to the boat". It's not like it was the last one or anything but it was nice to get there in time. I arrived just after 4:00 and it wasn't leaving until 4:30.
I was coming home and as I came up Monahan Road I stopped to call Brenda. She had called me and left a message to see if I got on the boat. So I called to see if she had any tea. She told me to come on over but she didn't mention that she was just cooking supper. Who knew? It's Sunday, she doesn't cook on Sunday - but I guess they had all worked up an appetite out on the water. They had taken my kayak with them and the canoe so Brenda and Bernie and the two girls were all able to go together.The last thing I needed was more food but I did manage to eat a hot dog and it was pretty good, along with a few chips. After some tea and watermelon, I  headed home It had been a pretty long and full day so after a bit of television it was time for bed. It's great that we were all able to go out and enjoy the lovely day yesterday as this week is supposed to rain all week. Meghan(1) and Bernie are scheduled to head out on their bike trip this morning but hopefully it might ease off a little bit later on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment