Monday, August 29, 2011

Welcome Irene...



Conditions at 5:15 am: very windy and 23'
Expected later: very windy and rainy and 21'[

Welcome Hurricane Tropical Storm Irene..

Well, as I write this, there is no rain yet but it's quite windy. So far everything is standing and it's not any worse than wind we normally receive. Let's hope it stays that way. I guess the up side would be there's no mosquitoes!

I'm hopeful that it doesn't turn out to be too bad.  It was very strange watching TV on Saturday night and seeing film footage of news correspondents in Manhatten, standing in deserted Times Square - no people, no traffic - nothing at all on a Saturday night. Now that's worthy of a science fiction film. But when we watched again on Sunday afternoon it was quickly getting back to normal again.

The weekend started out so perfect. Friday night was absolutely beautiful. When I got home I stacked some wood then lit the BBQ and cooked myself some supper. I sat outside with my meal and a drink and enjoyed one of the first truly lovely evenings we've had all summer.  I worked on Saturday and then headed over to the Rec Centre later in the afternoon to serve at a wedding. Caitlin was there filling in for Brenda, who arrived just as we were starting to serve so that was great. It was great to have Brenda there as the two of us have a different method of running the serving routine,  that works well for us. Once we were all done serving and clearing plates, we sat down to our meal. I must say my healthy eating takes quite a beating at weddings as I eat way too much - but it's so good!

Sunday morning we were bracing for the hurricane but when we got up there was nothing but a few drops of rain. Bernice from down the road stopped in on her way hone from church and we had a lovely visit. Then I called Brenda and by then it was really nice out so we decided to at least go for breakfast. We got the bikes out and headed over to Tracadie for the Lions breakfast. We were later than expected getting there, but they very graciously fed us and let us stay as long as we liked. It was still quite nice out so we decided to head east for a little ride. (The air show was on in Summerside and the Stanley Cup parade was going on in Cornwall so west wasn't a good direction to be travelling). We got as far as Morell when it started to rain so we turned around and headed back. Of course when we got home, the sun was shining. But our clothes were damp and we decided to stay in and have tea and chocolate chip cookies. I had taped Jack Layton's funeral on Saturday but hadn't watched it yet, so we did that for the afternoon.

When Brenda left I seriously considered a nap but instead I baked a couple of zuchinni loaves and a loaf of bread and did some laundry. Then I sat down to veg for the rest of the evening. Today it will be back onto my diet and back to my usual routine, while we wait out the storm. Hopefully everything will be as it should be when I get home tonight.  My lights just flickered ever so slightly so I'd better get this published in case I lose power...

No comments:

Post a Comment