Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday, November 14th - I have more research to do

 

Conditions at 5:10 am: 9' with a few clouds and heading for a mix of sun and cloud and 13' later today

What a glorious day we had on Sunday. I woke up around 8:30 to sunny skies and a light breeze. I actually spent a large part of the morning puttering around outside, something I haven't done in quite a while. It was just too nice to stay indoors. Then I spent a relaxing afternoon putting the new heddles on my loom a rather time consuming task that I've just not gotten to. Now it is back together and I want to get working on something again. I've gone back to my instruction book and decided I need to do some samples that it recommends so that   I can learn all about the different structures of a pattern and how and why they work. But I need to make myself a warping board first. That will be my next project, once we get community school finished. But it was a productive afternoon and I got caught up on some TV at the same time.

Later I picked up Bernie, whom I had invited to join me for some research at Cedars Eatery, and we went into town. He had no idea what he was getting himself into but he was willing to give it a try. We both ordered the Chicken Shawarma and the Lebanese rice so I could try them. They were not quite what I got from the recipes I'd read so I'm really glad I went. The rice there is slightly different than any of the recipes I'd come across but we'll give it our best shot. I may try some tonight for my supper to see if I'm even close. Also, all the recipes I found call for pita bread but the wrap they use at Cedars is much thinner and larger so I'm going to see if I can find something similar at the grocery store. I think I've seen them before so hopefully I can find them. After some coffee and Baklava for dessert, I returned Bernie back to his house. I'm very grateful that he agreed to go with me, as I really don't like going to restaurants by myself. And besides it WAS their wedding anniversary yesterday so it's only right he should celebrate it. So a belated Happy Anniversary to you too, Brenda. Hopefully your flight got in on time - I know that one is often late for one reason or another.

Other than that it was a quiet weekend. The weather was so nice yesterday morning that I was really sorry that Brenda wasn't here as it would have been a perfect day to go for a walk on the Appalachian Trail.  And how, you might ask, where we going to do that? Well, it turns out that the trails that were built over the past few years,  off of our road, are considered to be part of that famous trail system. Apparently an application was made when they were completed and because of where they're located, they are considered part of the Appalachian Trail. Check out this article for the whole story - so we don't just go hiking, we hike the Appalachian Trail!


Opening of Dromore Trail in PEI
The Dromore Woodland Trails Officially Becomes Part of the IAT/SIA Trail

DSCF0013.jpg

At the conclusion of a very successful 2009 Annual General Meeting of the
International Appalachian Trails/Sentiers Internationaux Des Appalaches Council,
that Island Trails hosted from 29th to 31 Oct. 2009 at PEI’s Stanley Bridge Country
Resort and Conference Centre, Chapter representatives from Maine, Quebec, New
Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island
officially opened Island Trails IAT/SIA Dromore Woodland Trails on 31 Oct. 2009.

With Dromore’s opening, the IAT/SIA trail now extends from the northern terminus
of the Appalachian Trail at Mount KatahdinMaine, to the northernmost tip of the
Appalachian Mountains at Belle Isle, Newfoundland and Labrador. Started in 1995,
the IAT/SIA has now been extended from Northern Maine, into Northern New
Brunswick, to the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec, to Prince Edward Island and Nova
Scotia, to its North American terminus at Crow Head, Newfoundland and Labrador.

Joining IAT/SIA Council and Chapter representatives at the Dromore Woodland
Trails 31 October 2009 opening were members of the Island Trails Board of
Directors, PEI Provincial Government Officials and members of the “Trails 4 All”
Hiking Club of Charlottetown.

The Dromore Woodland Trails, located just south east of Mount Stewart in the
centre of PEI’s Queen’s County, consists of four sections totalling roughly 14 kms.
(including loops and connectors). It provides numerous route choices for short, half – day
or full – day hiking experiences. An attractive wooden sign identifies each trail head
and trail markers guide hikers at intersections.

By joining with Maine and the other four Canadian Eastern Provinces, Prince Edward
Island is making its own unique  contribution to the 1900 – mile –
long IAT/SIA Trail. As people hike the Dromore Woodland Trails, they should
remember that the bedrock beneath their feet is actually debris from the ancient
Appalachian Mountain chain that once ran through Prince Edward Island.

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0217.jpg


 For even more information on our area,  which I found really interesting - check out this link;
http://www.internationalat.org/Pages/SIAIAT_PDF/dromorebrochure.pdf





No comments:

Post a Comment