Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tuesday, November 8 - What a great show



Conditions at 5:15 am:  clear bright sky with lots of stars and 8', heading for an expected high of 12' and sunny!

Well yesterday proved to be quite a challenge. First off, I stupidly forgot to re-set the alarm clock. I changed all the clocks on Sunday morning when I got up but totally forgot about the alarm. So when I got up Monday morning, at what I thought was 5:20, I immediately got to work on my blog, made my lunch, etc, etc and then when I thought I had approximately half an hour left to get showered and dressed for work, I noticed on the clock in the kitchen that it was 5:25 - how can that be when I didn't get up until 5:20? Then it dawned on me that I had neglected to change the alarm.So needless to say it was too late for me to go back to sleep as I was now very wide awake. So it was a long day. To add insult to injury, it was the busiest day I've ever seen at Toyota as far as the phone goes. However I'm sure it will be quiet today as I'm almost positive that every person on the island who owns one of our cars, called yesterday so there's no one left to call today! It was insane. We had a few flakes of snow on Saturday and now the whole world has woken up and said to itself - oh my gosh, winter is coming and I need my snow tires put on. So I was really happy to see that part of the day come to an end, as were the folks in service.

After I got home and had a bite to eat, Brenda picked me up and we headed out to the Harmony House theatre in Hunter River. What a lovely venue. It's quite small and intimate and a fabulous little spot. It was once a church and the couple who bought it and revived it, have done an amazing job. We arrived in time to have a glass of wine in the downstairs bar. It's all wood and exposed brick and is very nice. Then back up the stairs with the very unique railings made from bent branches - Richard really needs to see this.
We were in the front row so we were very up close and personal. Too much so as it turns out. At one point Nathan was talking about Stanfest in Canso, N.S. and I whispered to Brenda that it would be a great bike trip but she suggested that the weather is usually really poor that weekend and a car might be more to our liking. Nathan asked if there was something we would like to share with the rest of the crowd. OOOOPS! So we told him we were just making a comment on the weather for that event and he conceded that being surrounded on three sides by water, made it subject to some precipitation. But after that we kept quiet! But it was a great show. He has an amazing voice and if you closed your eyes, you thought for sure you were listening to his father. He's much slimmer, more like his uncle Garnett, but he certainly has the voice. He also kept us entertained by telling little stories in between songs of incidents that would have been related to him throughout the years by people who knew his father. We figure he must have been quite young when his father died.

He doesn't usually sing his father's songs, as he has a music career of his own, but for this tour it was perfect. He really should do it more often, and if this one is any indication, I suspect he may do it more. The crowd loved it and gave him a standing ovation, which I think really pleased him. Hopefully he'll continue and for those who haven't yet had a chance to see this show, you are in for a treat. I think there are a total of 4 shows in this tour and if they are all as successful as this one was, he has something to be very proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment