Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thursday, November 24th - Dear Mother Nature - this really isn't funny!



Conditions at 5:30am: 1' and overcast heading for a high of 2' and a mix of sun and cloud

I know this is Canada, and I know it's November but this really isn't funny. We need a couple of light snow falls to ease us into winter driving conditions. This was crazy. When I left work yesterday to go to the store, the driving conditions were treacherous at best, at least in town. There wasn't that much snow yet, only a couple of inches but it was VERY slippery. Good thing for me the guys put my winter tires on yesterday afternoon!
Right outside my back door this morning
When I left to come home at 10:30 (actually it was closer to 11:00) there was more snow and the roads were still quite slick but at least there was very little traffic. I came home through Fort Augustus and it was snowing quite heavily but there were no other cars on the road so I could take my time. It was very dark and very snowy so I really had very little idea just where I was most of the time. I was quite surprised when I saw the Websters Corner sign to see that I had made it that far. But at 40 km an hour it took a while. As I passed the Van Gaal household the driveway was blown in and everything was all in darkness. (Not that I would have dropped in - it was approaching midnight by that time). It was a very peaceful island sight. But I ventured on and by the time I got to my road I breathed a sigh of relief until I turned the corner, that is. The wind was blowing up from the Pisquid River and the road was very badly drifted in. The snow was a least a foot deep on most of the remainder of the trip and I really thought I might get stuck a couple of times. By this time the wind had picked up and it was doing some serious drifting. I did manage to make it up my driveway but this morning I'l need to shovel a bit as there's a nice drift in front of the car. But I made it safe and sound and that's all that matters. It should all be gone in a day or two as it will be warmer tomorrow and on the weekend. But it was definitely a wake up call - Winter's here! - at least for a little while.

We'll see how the drive back in goes this morning.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it home safe and sound. A couple of suggestions to make you more of an Islander. Its "slippy" not "slippery" and you and I have "Lanes" not "Driveways". A driveway is much shorter.

    ReplyDelete