Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tuesday, November 15th - A chance encounter that worked out

 

Conditions at 5:15 am: a balmy 11' with some clouds, heading for 13' later and a few showers in the morning

Last night I stopped at the grocery store to pick up supplies for tonight's class. I was also on the hunt for the type of pita breads that were used in the restaurant on Sunday night but to no avail. So on my way down University Avenue I stopped in at Cedars to inquire where I might be able to purchase said breads. The woman I spoke with was most helpful. She explained they were a Lebanese pita, much larger than anything we get at the store. They are split in half and opened up. The two round halves (about 12' in diameter) are partially overlapped, then the filling is spread down the centre and I was shown how to roll them up. Extremely helpful. She also suggested a little store over in the Brighton area that may have the pitas. So I got back in the car just as my phone was ringing. Turns out the Van Gaals were in town and had just arrived at the Old Dublin Pub. Was I interested in joining them? That seemed like a no brainer. But first I ventured over to the store and found exactly what I needed, and two packages were left - just the right amount. I was delighted to have found them and now we are well on our way to getting our recipe done as authentically as possible.

I got to the pub in no time as I was already downtown. Brenda and Bernie enjoyed sharing a De-fibulator burger, the one from the Burger Love promotion in the spring. We had been there during that time and theirs was our favorite. I had the steak and baked potato that was on special and it was cooked perfectly. When we were done Brenda dropped Bernie off at home and came over and helped me prep and stock up for tonight. That was a great help as there were several things to be done. In no time we had the spice mixture made up and the chicken marinating. The tahini sauce is also in the fridge and everything is ready to pack up tonight. I hope they turn out, and it's what the girls are looking for.

Came across this article yesterday - at this rate, Brenda and I will be geniuses well into our golden years!

Can't decide whether to order wine with dinner? Here's a little tidbit to help you make up your mind: Deciding "yes" might protect you from dementia down the road.

A review of the findings suggests older adults who indulge in a daily glass (one if you're a woman, two if you're a man) of their favorite alcoholic beverage (wine, beer, or cocktails) are significantly less likely to develop age-related cognitive decline or dementia compared to folks who don't drink at all.

Booze for the Brain

How does imbibing do this? Researchers think the daily habit may protect against inflammation-inducing proteins in the brain, including B-amyloid -- a toxic protein linked to Alzheimer's disease. Other findings suggest that moderate drinking can boost cerebral blood flow by dilating vessels in the brain. One part of alcohol's brain-protective equation: It's thought that moderate social drinking may have a cumulative effect over many years in reducing the long-term risk of age-related cognitive decline.



No comments:

Post a Comment