Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday, November 21st - Our first snow

Conditions at 5:30 am: overcast and 2' which is 1' higher than our forecast high of 1' with a chance of a little snow flurry activitiy

A weather network image from Friday morning
Well, Friday morning, I was feeling a little smug about the fact the radio said there was snow everywhere and we had none. It was just raining when I left for work and just starting to turn to flakes but by the time I got to town, there was a good inch or more on the ground everywhere. Of course by the end of the day, it had all melted away. So you can imagine my surprise when I got out to our area and found that the one inch or so that town had received, was still on the ground. Everything was wrapped in a coat of white - and was still there when I left in the morning. But it was gone by the time I got home late Saturday night.

Friday night I met Brenda in town and we went to the craft sale but it was very busy. We thought we'd do well by going when they opened at 5:30. I arrived around 5:15 and there was a big line up of people waiting to get into the school and it was very cold, so I waited in the car till Brenda got there. Thank goodness for cell phones, or we'd never find people. After touring the show, we headed downtown to the Olde Dublin where Maureen met us and we enjoyed a most pleasant evening of food, beverages and conversation. I left a little before the others and headed home as I had to work on Saturday. Needless to say, Saturday  was a long, but uneventful day.

Sunday was much better. Brenda came over in the morning and we made the cabbage rolls for Tuesday. I had researched several recipes and found that the mostly all take a long time to cook  - 2 hours in the oven. That just won't work in our class, so we made them in advance and then we'll add some more sauce to them on Tuesday and put them in the oven to reheat on Tuesday and we can eat them there. We will make the pierogies in class. We've made the filling and the dough so the rest will be easy to put together and enjoy as well.

While the cabbage rolls were baking, we took a bit of time to head down the road to go for a hike on the trail. The road in was a bit muddy in spots so we had to drive carefully but we made it in and out again successfully. The trails were a bit slippery in spots as there are all the newly fallen leaves mixed with all the rain we've had recently. And just as we neared the end of the shortest trail, it started to rain so we timed it just right. But it was nice to get out there and the dog really enjoyed his little romp in the woods.

It seems that "There's a Chef in My Kitchen" may be reborn on the island. Brenda was looking for a fundraising idea for her church auction. So we are offering a "Catered Gourmet Dinner for four" as an auction item. I came up with three menus that might be of interest as well as a description of the prize. We presented it all to one of the committee members last night to see if it might be something he thought might work. He really liked the idea and will discuss it with the others and get back to us. It's definitely something different for here and it could be good or not. We'll just have to wait and see. We won't know till we try it. At least some members of the church community know me from either the Rec Centre and Community School so hopefully one of them will take us up on our offer. They all know Brenda really well and she was a huge help with the party we catered at Tracey's last year. We just might be able to make this work. Unfortunately I won't be able to help as I have a staff Christmas party to attend on Saturday night.

Yesterday morning, I noticed some birds, 6 in total, walking around my front yard. I took a couple of pictures through the window but as soon as I went outside, they flew away, across the road towards the river. I thought they looked like quail but I'm really not sure, so if anyone has any idea, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. The look like the could be Bob White Quail

    ReplyDelete