Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thursday, November 10 - Tongues may be wagging

 

Conditions at 6:00 am: partly cloudy skies and 7' headed for a high of 13' and more sun and cloud mix

So Brenda was catching the 6:05 flight out of town yesterday to go to Toronto to visit the girls for the weekend. Trouble is Bernie is really busy hauling stuff as it is harvest season after all. So on Tuesday we came up with a plan. She would come into town in the afternoon and do some errands then meet me at work at 5:00. I drove her to the airport in her truck and then brought it home.( I left  my car at Toyota.) My cell phone rang just as I got home and it was Bernie. He was out in a field somewhere and suggested that depending on where he ended up he may come over and pick up the truck so not to be alarmed if I heard someone out in the yard. But when I got up this morning it's still here. Good thing I live in an out of the way place or the whole community would be questioning Bernie's truck being here all night, the same day that Brenda left town!

But I'm sure we'll figure out something tomorrow. I have to work until midnight tonight so if it's still here on Friday morning I'll call him and we'll work something out if he needs it.  Not to worry.

So Christmas is coming - or so all the stores are telling me quite loudly. Last year, if you recall, I gave the two older grandchildren each $100 with the following stipulations: they had to save 25%, they had to make the world a better place with 25% and the rest they could spend on whatever they wanted. So I was talking to Patti the other day and she told me they put the entire thing in the bank. Their school was doing a food drive at Thanksgiving so they both decided they would use their donation money for that. Well, I wish I'd been there. She tells me James went to the store with the list of what was needed and a calculator and spent a considerable amount of time getting the best value for his money. He checked all the prices and added things up on his calculator. In the end he wound up spending around $50 and Meghan about $40. It brought back some memories of taking James to the dollar store when he was little. I'd give him a dollar and he would spend half an hour going all through the store before he finally made his choice. He's not one to just give up his money without being sure he's getting the best for his money. Not a bad way to be. I think he'll do well. So I think I'll do the same thing again this year. I'll give Tristen some money as well this year. Patti tells me he's been asking to have a bank account so now he can open one with the money he gets from Grandma. (also makes Christmas shopping much easier and also teaches them how good it feels to do something for others)

No comments:

Post a Comment