Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday, February 17th - It's nice to have the old boy home!

It's -4' at 5:30 am with what the weather network is calling 'light snow grains'. I must admit, that's a new one for me. They may be falling (or whatever they do) somewhere, but not here, at least not yet. We're heading for a high of -1' with a mix of sun and cloud. We might get up to 10 cm of snow by tomorrow morning but who knows. It might also be rain instead.

Lloyd arrived right on time yesterday and I gave him his list. He had a couple of hours to kill before I was done work so he was happy to have something to do to fill in the time. My wine fridge is now fully stocked, my windshield washer fluid in my car is filled and the materials have been purchased for my warping board. That will be one of his projects for the next couple of days so I can  start weaving again. I have a couple of projects in mind to start off with and utilize some materials I have on hand first, then who knows where it will go from there.

We had a nice dinner last night. We started off with, of course, a glass of wine, while we cooked. Mussels steamed in white wine with a bit of carrot and onions to start. Then followed by beef tenderloin steaks with a blue cheese sauce, baked potatoes with sour cream and julienne carrots. Of course the home made rolls that were tucked into my bag at the Van Gaals the other night were a welcome treat as well. I had planned to make a dessert but in retrospect, it was good that I didn't because we were stuffed.

I knew that Lloyd was bringing down a surprise for me and I had no idea what it was but I expected it was something kitchen related. I was right and what a wonderful surprise. When we were in Quebec city a few years ago, we went to this lovely little cafe or rather creperie, and had a fabulous meal. The electric crepe maker was what caught my eye but I've only ever seen them in restaurants. Well guess what - the Gadget Queen now has another jewel in her crown! I have an electric crepe maker and I can't wait to give it a try.
From what I've read, it will also work well for tortillas and it has a 13 inch surface so we can make the bigger ones as well. Get ready for some experimenting!

One strange note: as I sit here writing this, there is a mosquito buzzing around in front of me. How bizarre is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment