Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday, February 6 - what a glorious first day of skiing

It's 5:30 am and it's -9 (wind chill of -16) this morning.It's expected to warm up to -1' later this afternoon with maybe a little snow flurry activity.

The cold weather over the past few days has been a huge help to the Jack Frost Festival people. They are busily working and the snow sculptures and walls and slides are all starting to take shape quite nicely. Looks like winter arrived just in the nick of time.

Let's see, how was my weekend? Friday night was quiet, so I did a couple of things around the house (only because I missed Brenda's call to come over for Nachos). Then Saturday after work I did a couple of errands in town then stopped by the Van Gaals on my way home, as Bernie had something for me.

Turns out it was a lovely bunch of tulips! What a nice treat in this cold snowy weather - a little touch of spring. Brenda was going out for the evening with a friend and it was a good opportunity for me to do some cleaning. I occurred to me on Friday the next Friday is the pot luck, so I'd better get my act together. Well, I got a few things done but not as much as I'd hoped to. After going to bed and getting a good night's sleep, I was rudely awakened at 3:50 in the morning by the phone ringing. Of course when I answered there was no one there. But now I was awake. So I sat up in bed and read for a while. When I started to feel tired I turned off the light to go back to sleep. I was just dozing off when the alarm went off at 5:00. Some moron forgot to turn it off the night before! So now I might as well get up. In the end it was a pretty productive morning. I finished up a number of things in the house and was just bringing in  the last load of wood when Brenda arrived after church, so timing was perfect.

We were working on tags for bags of sun flower seeds to go into the feed stores. I had worked on a few of them on Saturday night so all we needed to do was fine tune them a bit and decide on which one to use. Of course after printing one my printer ran out of ink so that is my task at lunch today.

Once that was done it was time to go out and play. Brenda went home to get dressed and I picked her up about an hour later. By the time I got to her house the sun was shining in brilliantly clear blue skies. We headed over to Dalvay as they were having a family fun day. It started at 1:00 and we were out on the trails by 1:30. There were very few people there for most of the time but as we were heading back there were quite a few more. They were serving cookies and hot chocolate over by the lake but we opted instead for a beer and something warm at the Old Triangle as it was only 3:00. We made our way back into town and found a parking spot right in front of the door! We spent the next two hours enjoying some great music, some good food and reading the Buzz and G magazine. Now we are all caught up on the news. One interesting bit of news is that the Trailside has been sold to someone who is very involved in music on the island. So it should be opening again in the spring. We'll be watching for that. There was even a two-for-one coupon in the Buzz for the Triangle so we were able to take advantage of that right away. All in all, a really great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment