Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thursday, February 9th - what a brilliant morning - and it's only 4:15

I woke up at 4:00 this morning and by 4:15 it was evident I wasn't going back to sleep so I got up. I let the dog out and it was absolutely gorgeous outside. The full moon was brilliant in the cloudless sky and the air was cool and calm. Apparently it's -7 but without the wind it doesn't really feel very cold at all. It looks like we're headed for another nice day - mix of sun and cloud and high of +1' -  stark contrast to this time last year.

 What a great evening we had last night. I met Brenda at the mall yesterday after work and we saw "The Decedents" . I really enjoyed it and found it to be quite thought provoking. After the movie we went downtown to the Old Triangle for a beer, some 35 cent wings and some live music. What a great way to end the day.

Before the movie we were admiring the site for the Jack Frost Festival. It is unimaginable what they have done with that bare brown patch of grass I showed you two short weeks ago. Now there is a full size skating rink complete with bleachers on the sides for sitting and watching. There are large snow and ice walls with words carved on them, there are huge slides made out of snow. One of them has the sliding tracks carved out in curves down the sides and then made of ice, so I can only imagine how fast you go when you slide down one of those. Then there are bigger slides that take you right down the hill. Off to one side yesterday, there were people carving big blocks of clear ice, but I was too far away to see what they were doing. It's really quite the sight.

Earlier in the day I went over to the theatre to pick up the movie tickets and a lady stopped and asked me if I was going into the mall. I replied that I was just going to the theatre when she told me they had closed the mall because there was a bomb threat. I didn't hear any more about it yesterday afternoon and I never heard anything about it on the radio. Maybe there will be more info today.

I will leave you now with a question that will leave you pondering for the rest of the day. Is this racism?


Everyone seems to be in such a hurry to scream 'racism' these days.


A customer asked, "In what aisle could I find the Newfy sausage?"


The shop assistant asks, "Are you from Newfoundland?"


The guy, clearly offended, says, "Yes I am. But let me ask you something, If I had asked for Italian sausage, would you ask me if I was Italian?


Or if I had asked for German Bratwurst, would you ask me if I was German?


Or if I asked for a kosher hot dog would you ask me if I was Jewish? 


Or if I had asked for a Taco, would you ask if I was Mexican? 


Or if I asked for Polish sausage, would you ask if I was Polish?"


The shop assistant says, "No, I probably wouldn't."


The guy says, "Well then, because I asked for Newfy sausage, why did you ask me if I'm from Newfoundland?"


The clerk replied, "Because you're in Home Hardware."





No comments:

Post a Comment