Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wednesday, February 29th - another 4 years before we see this date again!

It's a quiet -8' this morning and it's no longer snowing. We should reach a comfortable -5' by this afternoon with a mix of sun and cloud. Yesterday was our first official snow day, The schools were all closed, including the college and the University. Some businesses were closed but for most of us in the retail industry it was business as usual. The drive into town was an easy one and except for some snow on the roads, homecoming was also no problem. The issue we were expecting was blowing snow as the snow itself was very light and fluffy but the winds just never picked up to their full potential. So, once again, somewhat of a non event but that's okay by me. The roads were quite driveable and my lane was cleaned out when I got home. What more can you ask for in the dead of winter? well maybe not the 2 foot drift in front of the door that I had to shovel through to get in, but it was light and fluffy so not really a big deal.

But we know spring is on it's way. Or they're just very confused. Last Friday evening when I was on my way to Brenda's around 6:00 I saw what I thought were three large clumps of dirty snow or ice that had fallen off the bottom of someones car just down the road from the house in the middle of the road. As I approached, the clumps started moving. When I got to where they were I could see three raccoon's crossing the road. I was very surprised to see them out so early and so I stopped when I got to them. They went down into the ditch and then stopped. One of them turned around and just watched me for at least a full minute. I wished I had my camera (Bernie wishes I'd had a gun). Eventually it decided I wasn't really that interesting and it ambled off into the woods along with the other two. Not something we're used to seeing this early in the season, so spring should be here really soon!

I talked to Patti last night. Her aunt has just had surgery to remove a couple of tumours from her brain, and last evening they were moving her to the hospital in Guelph. Patti spoke to her boss so that she would be placed on Patti's floor at the hospital. A good friend of Jennifer's also works on that floor so she'll have some extra special attention. We wish her well, as it's going to be a tough recovery.

I think Patti needs a little vacation away so they're planning on coming  to visit for a few days. Besides it's been over a year since Meghan was here and almost that long for Tristen. It will be great to see them and I'm going to take a couple of days off work ( I hope - I'll ask today).  It will be nice to have them here and I can't believe it's only a week away. They'll finally have some snow to play in. Usually when they come at Christmas it rains!

Brenda and Bernie are headed to Boston this morning with tulips, so safe trip guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment