Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thursday, March 1st - already???

It's a chilly -15' this morning with a light dusting of new snow on the ground. It's expected to warm up to -8' this afternoon with a mix of sun and cloud. Yesterday turned out to be a beautiful sunny day although a little cold. But if you were inside enjoying the sunshine it was great. Good thing as the tulip truck broke down and the Van Gaals spent three hours sitting on the side of the road waiting for assistance to arrive because of a broken fan belt.  Gotta love the text messaging! At one point Brenda, Meghan, Caitlin, Will  and I were all involved in the same conversation. We pretty much had the entire country in the loop! But it was sunny where they were and warm inside the truck. A perfect place for a nap and really, what else could you do? But eventually they were on their way and signed off as they crossed the border. Hopefully the rest of the trip will be uneventful.



I'm slowly making progress on my weaving project. It's tightly woven, which isn't what I had initially intended but when it's finished it will be a very soft, very warm scarf! I'm really glad I have something on the loom so the kids can see how it works.  There was nothing on it when James was here in the summer and he was very curious to see how it worked.

It's pretty quiet this time of year, with not a lot going on. (It's amazing how much free time you have when there's no grass to cut!) I pretty much come home at night, make some supper then either work on weaving, or crochet or watch a bit of TV and then it's time for bed. I'm making some crocheted dish cloths. They are quite an old fashioned thing to make but I love them. I had a couple a few years ago that a friend in Guelph had made for me but they wore out. Brenda gave me one a couple of weeks ago along with a pattern to make my own. Some are knitted and some are crocheted but I'm really not much of a knitter so I'm crocheting some. I have one finished although it's a bit small. I'm using a slightly smaller size hook that what it calls for because that's all I could find (but I know I have more SOMEWHERE). I'm using a bigger stitch and a different pattern for the second one and it's going to be quite a bit bigger but I'm okay with that. What I really like about it is it's pretty mindless stuff and I can do it while I'm watching TV. It appears  the rest of the winter will pretty much be about the fibre crafts.


No comments:

Post a Comment