Saturday, March 10, 2012

Saturday, March 10th - an electrifying experience

This morning we woke up to a chilly -5' but bright sunshine. Yesterday was a warm 7' and a great day to go swimming. I had to go into work for a little bit so I dropped everyone off at the pool. We'd finished our bread which turned out wonderfully, and it was time for some rest and relaxation. It had been a very busy morning, baking bread, making crepes, cleaning strawberries, whipping cream - exhausting!

Everyone had a piece of hot bread fresh out of the oven and all declared it a success. While they were at the pool I stopped in at the grocery store and picked up some stuff we needed then went to work. I still wasn't done when they were finished so I went and picked them up and brought them back to work with me. James had dazzled everyone on Thursday when he arrived in a suit and tie so he didn't have to do anything to impress anyone yesterday - they were already in awe that a kid that age WANTED to dress like that!

When we finally got home, we made pizza dough and then we each made our own pizza. A bit of TV and it was time to get to bed. That's when the lights went out - well in part of the house anyway. But we were going to bed  so we didn't worry about it till morning.

In the morning the sun was shining brightly and all the water from yesterday was frozen solid. SO the kids were outside in the front yard by 7:30 sliding down the ice. A great time was had by all. In the meantime I went down to the basement to see that all the breakers on one panel were flipped off. So I flipped them back but nothing happened. We had power in the living room and the bedrooms on that side of the house but nothing in the kitchen or either porch. We also didn't have any water either.

So I did what everyone in the community would do - I called Bernie. He said he would finish his coffee and be over and take a look before I called an electrician.  He and Brenda arrived shortly after and the problem was fixed. I don't know what he did but he opened up the panel and did something and all was well. He assured me there was nothing  to worry about. I'm sure it was in part due to the excellent help he had from James and Meghan.

We were back in business. So we made some fruit salad with a pineapple we had on hand (left from the pizza) and some oranges and grapefruit and apples I'd gotten from someone at work who was selling them for some fundraiser. We also tried out the Banana Baked Donuts. We had 12 large and 12 minis and there were none left. Needless to day they were a hit!

So, now we're all cleaned up and ready to head to the beach for a walk and to do some exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment