Sunday, March 4, 2012

Monday, March 5th - it's been a quiet and mild weekend

Our weekend was very mild. I was hoping that all of our snow would be here for the next week but now I'm not sure sure.  There's a blanket of fresh, light and fluffy snow on the ground this morning, with more scattered flurries expected throughout the day. The temperature this morning is -1', which is about as good as it will get today but we are maybe looking for rain later in the week. Hopefully they will be wrong.

Brenda and Bernie arrived home around 9:00 on Friday night and it had been a very snowy drive for the entire day. That was not the case here. And Saturday morning dawned just below freezing but with a threat of rain. I'm amazed to realize that it's daylight so early now. I was just about out of wood in the house and when I woke up on Saturday morning at 6:30 it was very bright outside. When I let the dog out I was pleasantly surprised to find it not too cold and not windy in the least. I had half a stack of wood in before 7:00 and still had lots of time to get ready for work. That's  the one good thing about working Saturdays - I don't have to be there till 9:00.

We were meant to get up to 5 cm of snow before it turned to rain but the snow never materialized. We did, however, get the rain, and lot of it. It didn't start until later in the day but rain, it did. Brenda called me at work to suggest we have supper and I had just the idea. I'd been collecting the newspaper sections that come out once a week with recipes in them. I decided it was time to go through them and type out the ones I might actually make some day and get rid of the rest. So that's what I was working on when she called. I had just typed up a pasta recipe that sounded tasty - Cajun Shrimp Linguine - so I picked up what we needed on my way home.

I went home for a bit, and gathered together the remaining ingredients required for our dinner. Then I sat down to watch a program I had downloaded on the computer. It was an old,  short lived TV series I had started watching and there were a total of 20 episodes. I watched two before heading over to Fort Augustus to make supper.

As usual, we had great fun cooking, chatting and catching up on our week while enjoying a glass of wine. When it all came together, we summoned Bernie to the table and we enjoyed our dinner. Bernie would like to see slightly less cayenne as he found it a bit too hot for his taste but Brenda and I enjoyed it as is. After our meal we had an apple pudding cake type of dessert that Brenda had made,  with ice cream. The apples were delicious and the cake layer was light and fluffy. She was given this recipe a long time ago and it's definitely one worth keeping. I'm hoping she will share it with me so I can add it to our list.  Another wonderful evening.

Sunday dawned bright and sunny. I was awakened to bright sun shining in the bedroom window  - I love waking up that way. It wasn't very cold although it was below freezing but it didn't take long for the sun to melt the frost on the cars. It turned out to be a nice day, although the wind did pick up a little bit later in the morning. It wasn't a great day for skiing and Brenda needed to go and spend some time with another old friend.

So I gave HER the day off  this time, and spent a quiet day at home. I did a few things around the house but I'm a little embarrassed to say I spent most of it sitting in front of the computer. I totally got into the series I had started watching on Saturday afternoon and try as I might, I just couldn't drag myself away. It was like reading a really good book that you just couldn't put down. So needless to say my day was pretty much wasted but you know what?   I don't care!   Lloyd always used to accuse me of never just doing nothing - well today was the day. But the upside is that I finished all 20 episodes so now I can get on with my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment