Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wednesday, March 7th - so far the snow is still here but...

We're heading for a high of 0' today but it will get milder overnight. Our high tomorrow is expected to be 9' but there's a good chance of rain on Friday. Hopefully it won't be enough to ruin all the snow. It's a clear morning with a bright full moon and no wind but it's a chilly -12' right now. That will change...

Quiet day yesterday. Although I did get a comment on yesterday's blog from a university student in Nova Scotia asking if I might answer some questions for her and give her some feedback on how things have changed on the island in the past few years. It appears to be a paper she's working on. So I emailed back and suggested that I've only been here for a short 3 years but my friend Brenda would be a better choice. So I sent this girl - Iris - the contact information she needed to get hold of Brenda. I called Brenda but didn't get an answer so I sent a text message. Turns out she never got the message but she did get a call from Iris. Of course she was a little blindsided by the call. So after talking to Iris she called me. I did explain that  I had tried unsuccessfully to get hold of her but yes, it was in fact me that connected the two. So in the end, Brenda agreed to talk to Iris but she also still wants to ask me some questions. So I may be hearing from her again. Brenda's only concern was "I won't be reading this in the Guardian, will I?"  A very valid question but I'm fairly certain we're safe there.  So you just never know who's out there reading your silly little blog.

Brenda called me again later in the day to invite me to supper - seems she had cooked a ham and scalloped potatoes (that's potato scallop here on the island, but on the main land it's scalloped potatoes). Since this is one of my favorite meals, how could I refuse?

So a pleasant dinner and then home again. I have a couple of things to do before the family gets here but nothing too serious.

I got this email from our friend Richard yesterday, and I thought it described Cooper's life pretty accurately:



It's just dawned on me....
 
My  dog sleeps about 20 hours a  day.
     
He  has his food prepared for him. He can eat whenever he wants.

His meals are provided at no cost to him.

He visits the Dr. once a year for his checkup, and again during the year if any medical
needs arise.

For this he pays nothing and nothing is required of him.

He lives in a nice neighborhood in a house that is much larger than he needs and he is
not required to do any upkeep..

If he makes a mess, someone else cleans it up.

He has his choice of luxurious places to sleep.

He receives these accommodations absolutely free.

He is living like a King, and has absolutely no expenses whatsoever..

All of his costs are picked up by others who go out and earn a living every day.

I was just thinking about all this, and suddenly it hit me like a brick  ........






OMG! I think my dog is a member of Parliament!

No comments:

Post a Comment