Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tuesday, February 21st - Another visit almost over

It's 5:29 and the temperature is -11' but appears to be relatively calm so the wind chill isn't crazy. We should make it up to a balmy -6' in the sun so it might be a nice day.

Our last full day together was a pretty laid back and quiet one. We had absolutely nothing planned other than dinner at the Van Gaals. It wasn't too bad a day weather wise. A bit chilly but not unreasonably so. After coffee in the morning Lloyd headed outside to get the snow off the storage shelters and to prune some of the apple trees branches. They've been let go for so many years that they are pretty much wild now. We don't know if trimming will help but it's worth a try. So while he did that I tried my hand at some cinammon rolls with biscuit dough. They were okay but not as good as Brenda's so I'll have to get her recipe. When he was cold and tired of reaching up above his head and lopping off branches, Lloyd was also  hungry. After a hearty breakfast he headed back out to load up the wood rack while I cleaned up the dishes. Then we both set about loading up all the trimmed branches and putting them in a pile beside the shed. Those are apple wood and will be nice in the smoker for some ribs in the summer.

By this time we were both feeling a little too relaxed so it was nap time. He headed upstairs and I laid down on the couch. I was having a lovely nap until the alarm on my phone went off to tell me my lunch hour was up (it's set to go off  Monday to Friday). Not to worry. It was time to get up anyway. I'd hate to sleep away a whole day off! So I sat and read for awhile.

When Lloyd got up I asked him to make some of his now famous donuts. He had picked up some baking pans that make donuts and brought them with him. When he made them in Guelph  they were a huge hit. I have to admit they were quite tasty. Actually almost like a cup cake but in a donut shape. We had some really great chocolate sauce left over from Saturday nights's dessert and it finished them off quite nicely.
We tried to justify their existence by the fact they are baked rather than fried! With a cup of fresh brewed coffee they hit the spot for an afternoon snack.


Before long it was time to head over to the Van Gaals for supper. We had selected some moose steaks the afternoon before and Lloyd was cooking them for us. Brenda made a delicious salad, honey roasted potatoes (that are a huge hit with Bernie, who's not really a potato lover) and veggies. My contribution was a compound butter to serve with the steaks, as moose can be a bit dry sometimes. We needn't have been concerned. Everything was delicious. The potatoes were fabulous, the veggies - carrots and turnips  - tasty, and the steaks were done to perfection.  But I have to say the best part for me was the sticky date pudding that Brenda made with a toffee sauce and ice cream. I've never had sticky date pudding before because I always thought it was more like a plum pudding type of dessert. Now I understand why it's so popular. This was absolutely fabulous. I'll get the recipe from her and post it on the blog because it's wonderful. A perfect end to a perfect meal and a perfect day and a perfect weekend. Now this morning, it's back to work for at least one of us. Dinner in town tonight, then Lloyd is back to Ontario in the morning. Another visit too short.

Got this email from Brenda and had to share this quote - I love it !


Quote of the day:

'Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater.
If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby.
If you give her a house, she'll give you a home.
If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal.
If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart.
She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her.
So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of shit.'

No comments:

Post a Comment