Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thursday, February 2nd - will this be a snow day?

It's 5:15 am and the snow is still falling lightly. I'm not sure exactly how much we received but I'd say at least 6 inches, maybe a little more. It's currently -10' and it will get up to -4' this afternoon.


If the wind picks up any more the drive to work might be a little tricky. There are a couple of spots on the highway where the snow tends to blow across the road, so we'll need to take it nice and slow this morning. It's still too early yet for cancellations on the radio.

The drive home last night wasn't too bad. It was slippery but if you just slowed down and took your time it  was fine. Our road hadn't  been plowed but the wind wasn't blowing so there wasn't much in the way of drifting.

Talk about a small world. Yesterday morning we had a new employee start with us in the sales department. When we were introduced I asked him where he was from and he said Guelph. So later in the morning we had a chance to chat a bit and I asked him what he did in Guelph. Turns out he was on the Guelph Police force. I told him I had been an auxiliary with Peel and also in corrections. He asked me what jail and when I told him he mentioned a few names. Turns out some of the follows I worked with in corrections moved over to policing (I actually knew that about two of them but had totally forgotten). One of the guys is a really good friend of Craig's (the new guy). How bizarre is that?

So it turns out Craig and his wife and 2 year old son moved here a month ago. They bought a place near Brackley Beach and just packed up everything and moved. They've been spending time here in the summers for the past 7 or 8 years and decided what the heck - let's give it a try. His wife is a teacher and hopes to get a teaching job at some point. He's just doing whatever he can and thought he'd like to give this a try.
When I told Brenda about it her immediate reaction was "How many of you fools ARE there up there?"  Guess you have to have enjoyed the rat race that can be Toronto sometimes, to truly appreciate what we have here. It may not be perfect, but it's perfect for us!

Yesterday I forgot to take my book with me so at lunch I picked up an old copy of Chatelaine from the waiting area. I found a recipe in there for something that looked quick and easy to make for supper. I didn't have any fresh tomatoes so I substituted a tin of diced tomatoes and it was really fast to make and quite a nice change. Click here  for the recipe: Polenta with Sausage and Tomato. If you happen to be vegetarian, you could just leave out the sausages and I'm sure it would still be quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment