Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday, April 13th - Happy Triskaidekaphobia Day

 Well, it's a chilly 0' this morning, and overcast but at least the wind has died down. We're heading for 5' today but the possibility of snow flurries this morning. So pretty much the same as yesterday, although I don't think it got that warm, and we did get a few flakes in the afternoon.

So the interesting thing about July that I posted yesterday, was totally wrong. A reader left a comment that July 1st this year is actually a Sunday so that throws the whole thing out the window. Gee, I guess you can't believe everything you read on the Internet.  Who know?  That would have been  one fact I could have easily checked but I didn't. Guess I'll know to double check the next time. (I thought it was a pretty reliable source)

So another quiet night although I did go up to the restaurant in Morrell and chat with them. I'm going to do a couple of shifts serving tables in the next couple of weeks to see how it goes.  I can already see where we have a difference in philosophy that might be an issue so it might not work for either of us, but we'll see.  It's worth a shot. I expressed a possible interest in maybe working in the kitchen and they were very receptive to that but I suggested we take it one step at a time.

I was chatting with Patti yesterday via text messaging and it seems that James has himself a summer job. He passed his umpire course so he'll be working this summer at the little kids games. I haven't talked to him but I'm sure he's pretty excited to get paid some real money. I mentioned it to one of the salesmen at work who met him while he was here. Paul was impressed with the fact James chose to wear a suit and he looked so business like. Paul says he's quite the boy. He suspects that somewhere down the road he'll open up a website and there will be James as the CEO of some big company, and he'll be able to say "I knew him when he umpired baseball".  He did make quite an impression.

Other than that, not much new to report. To better support the service counter and their customers, my lunch hour has been changed from 11:45 to start instead at 1:30 which suits me just fine, thank you very much. I get back to my desk at 2:30 and the afternoon is really short. I love that. Hopefully it will work and it stays that way.



Triskaidekaphobia (from Greek tris meaning "3", kai meaning "and", deka meaning "10" and phobia meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is fear of the number 13; it is a superstition and related to a specific fear of Friday the 13th, called paraskevidekatriaphobia orfriggatriskaidekaphobia.


One time, many years ago we were at Trivia at the Pub in Fergus. The question being asked was "What is Triscadecaphobia" After several responses mine was "The fear of crackers" ie Triscuits. Well, Peter, the quiz master, never forgot that and occasionally mentioned it over the years and I will always think of him on Friday the 13th . So Peter, if you read this,  Happy Cracker Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment