Monday, April 16, 2012

Monday, April 16th - Welcome home Will !

After a nice sunny weekend, it's 6' this morning and heading for a sunny 18' later on.

It was a fairly quiet weekend. Brenda and Bernie were later in the evening getting back from Boston so I was on my own Friday night. A good time to get groceries, and look for a white shirt for my waitress job. Not so successful so I planned to look further on Saturday afternoon.

Saturday was warm and sunny and work was crazy busy. Good for them but not so good for me trying to get any work done.  When I was finished I continued my search for a white shirt and finally found a couple that will work. On my way home I stopped at the Van Gaals to see what our next plan of attack might be. Bernie was working on a motorcycle that was giving him a little grief so he decided it might be best to take a break from it. So a little later the three of us ventured back into town in search of a burger. We decided to try the restaurant at the Race Track. I have to say that so far, it's my favorite. I found it to be very flavourful and juicy and not too big that it was awkward to eat. I really enjoyed the kettle chips that you could order on the side as well as the panko crusted deep fried dill pickle on the top of the burger .

 100% Island Beef on a Homemade Kaiser toasted in Bacon Fat, Tomato Jam, Aged White Cheddar, Maple Cured Smoked Pork Belly, Battered Fried Green Tomato, Local Greens, Pickled Red Onion, Roasted Garlic, topped with a Deep Fried Panko-Crusted Pickle.

Sunday was a beautiful morning - very bright and sunny with no wind. A perfect day to work outside but I had to pass it up to start my new job. I was scheduled to work from 10:00 till 1:30 but I ended up being there until 2:30. I could have stayed longer but I chose to leave as Brenda and I had planned to go kayaking and we had limited time as she was going into town to pick Will up at the airport at 6:00.

So we've had our first kayak of the year. It wasn't that long or that far but it was far enough for the first trip out. We had to share the river with several other boats out for the first day of fishing season - we're not used to that.  We noticed something swimming in the water, you could just see a little bit of the top of it's head up ahead. So we followed it but whenever we got close it would dive down under the water. In one spot we followed one of the little alleys of water through the rushes but we could only go a little ways. On our way back out I was almost at the main stream when it swam by right in front of me. I'm fairly certain that it was a beaver. There are beaver dams along the river in numerous spots. Unfortunately it caught me by surprise so I didn't have time to get a photo.

We stayed out at late as we dared, and by the time we got back and Brenda dropped me off she only had a little bit of time to go home and change and get back into town.

Once I was home, I did a few things around the yard. I had planned to blow up the flat tire on the lawn mower but I couldn't find the compressor. It's normally in the shed and I looked everywhere. No sign of it. So I called Lloyd later to see where it might be and it turns out it's in the basement. Now that's a challenge. I might have to invite Will and Brenda over for supper one night and see if I can persuade him to help me get it out of there and back into the shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment