Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday. April 23rd - it was lots of work but a success

The weather network says it's 1' and raining in Charlottetown but I don't think it's quite that cold here and at the present time (5:30 am) it's not raining, and hasn't been for a while. But that could well change at a moments notice. It appears we're in for rain most of the week but milder temperatures.

The table all set for company
Saturday was our big dinner for the folks from Brenda's church. They bought the catered dinner at the silent auction quite a while ago. Friday Brenda met me after work so we could go grocery shopping. I had gone to the beer store at lunch time.  We had thought about a burger for supper but we opted instead to bring everything home and put it away and then have nachos.  We agreed to start early on Saturday morning.

Bright and early Brenda arrived and we set to work. I had some stuff done, but there was still lots to do- some cleaning and some prep. We made a list of tasks and slowly worked our way through it. By early afternoon we were in good shape. Brenda had things to check on and do at home, with Bernie away,  so she went home and I finished up the last few little tasks. Then I had a nice relaxing bath and  got dressed. She arrived back at 5:30 and we carried on. Our guests arrived promptly at 7:00 and we greeted them with phyllo cups with cream cheese filling and jalapeno pepper jelly while they enjoyed a drink.

Then we proceeded with the first course, a simple mixed green salad with a choice of 3 dressings - homemade creamy herb, mandarin orange and sesame, and Kraft Catalina. The Kraft dressing was the hands down most popular.

The main ready to be served
After the salad, we served a puff pastry tart with slice tomatoes and bread and fried goat cheese rounds on top. This dish was also well received. Our main course was  bœuf bourguignon (beef stew in red wine). It turned out well except I overestimated how tough the cut of meat was that I had so it was overcooked. Instead of keeping it's nice cubed shape, it fell apart into shreds, which is better than being undercooked. We served it over roasted garlic whipped potatoes. It was a hit as well.  For dessert we served Tarte Tatin. It looked great when it came out of the oven but the apples were very juicy so the pastry got soggy quickly. Some of the dessert came back but I think they may also have been a little too full - it was a lot of food.  But they seemed to enjoy it and I hope they had a nice time. The feedback Brenda received in church Sunday morning was positive so that's a good thing. We'll see what happens if we do it again next year.


Finally the chefs get a chance to sit down and eat
       It was a long day and they left at 10:00. Brenda and I cleaned up and she left at 10:30 - a pretty long day for the both of us.


Sunday I worked at the restaurant from 9:45 to 1:30. It started off really quiet then picked up a little around lunch. Not as busy as last week but the weather was kind of odd. It was windy and 15' when I left to go to work and when I went out to my car at 1:30 it was raining and 4'. Quite a shift. I had hoped to take my bike over to Brenda's in the afternoon so we could start polishing them but not in that weather. Too many memories of a similar trip through New Hampshire many years ago! 


Instead I watched a bit of TV and then called Brenda. She and Helena arrived to pick me and and we decided to try the burger in Montague, at Sir Isaac's -  one of last years winners. This year it's:


THE DUCHESS


"THE REGAL SUCCESSOR
TO THE THRONE OF 
ISLAND BEEF TASTINESS" 


100% Island Beef mixed with Sautéed Fresh Mushrooms in Garlic Butter and stuffed with Blue Cheese with Mustard, Ketchup Relish, Sautéed Onions, Pickled Banana Peppers, Grilled Parmesan, two slices of Bacon, Romaine Lettuce, Tomato and Butter Pickles on a toasted Kaiser.


It was a very tasty burger. The meat was really juicy and the melted Parmesan and hot peppers added lots of flavour. All in all, another great burger. Which brings me round to another problem. Both Brenda and I were discussing weight on Saturday and I'm a little disgusted with myself for having gained back most of the weight I had lost in the fall. And I know it's totally my poor eating habits. I'm also waking up with heart burn in the night and I know it's all food related. So, today I've set myself a goal. I'm going to try to lose 20 pounds before my 60th birthday, which is in little more than 3 months. I don't think that's an unrealistic goal but maybe if I have a specific date in mind I might be able to do it again.  Here's hoping. That doesn't mean I can't have any more burgers, it just  means I have to limit myself to eating just half of it - so either sharing or bringing half home for another meal.  But I need to do this. 






Biker Update: 


Saturday the boys were in St' Louis, Missouri and yesterday they were somewhere in Texas so they're making good progress. Apparently the early part of the trip was 40'F and rain but by yesterday it was 85'F so things had much improved.  Raymond had a bit of trouble with his bike so a stop at a Harley shop was needed but they were soon back on the road again. Otherwise all is going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment