Monday, April 30, 2012

Happy PEI Third Anniversary!

It was three years ago today that Cooper and I arrived permanently on PEI . Lloyd had arrived a couple of days earlier. James and I had a lovely trip, and the weather was warm and sunny the whole way. Not at all like this morning - it's -2' and we're only going to reach 3' with a chance of flurries this morning and maybe some rain showers. The good news is it should warm up a little as the week goes on.

I often wonder, if we had known at the time, that it would be over three years before we would be back together living in the same house, would we have done it? I absolutely would have. The last three years have gone by quickly and for the most part have been pretty happy ones. There have been the odd trials and tribulations along the way but nothing I couldn't handle, either on my own, or with a little help from my friends (okay, a lot of help from my friends!).  But soon it will all just be a distant memory and we'll continue this adventure together. I'm looking forward to it.

So not such a busy weekend this time around. I even had to call Brenda last night to see if she remembered doing anything on Friday night. Turns out we didn't. It must have been a pretty quiet night for me as well because nothing came to mind, except maybe catching up on some TV  programs on line.

Saturday was kind of a dull day and it was brutally cold and windy. I was really surprised that so many people came into the dealership on such a miserable day, but I suppose it beat working outside. I had hoped to do some yard work on Saturday after work but it was just too cold. Besides I had to get ready for our "Widow's night".  Being as Brenda and Marlene are without spouses due to a bike trip, and Helena's is working out west for a little while longer, it seemed like the proper thing to do. We all convened at the Van Gaal house and each brought something to nibble on and something to drink. We had great music on the computer thanks to a benefit concert that Mat Anderson had organized for the folks in New Brunswick, that was being broadcast live. What more could we ask for?  Good food, good friends, good music, and alcohol!  Does it get any better?  We had a great evening just sitting around the kitchen table and chatting and before we knew it the evening was over. It was around 11:30 when I got home and headed straight to bed as I had to work in the morning.

It was a quiet morning at the restaurant but busy enough that the time didn't drag.  It was still quite chilly with a strong breeze and cool temperatures so bike riding was out of the question. I called Brenda on my way home and she was already started on her bike.  When I got there I worked quickly to catch up with the polishing and shining. Lucky for me I don't have as much chrome and my paint isn't in the greatest of shape so it doesn't take as long to do mine.

She doesn't look so bad for an old girl
When they were all clean and shiny, we headed into the house to finish off the left over stuff from the evening before. It was a win/win situation - it got Brenda's fridge cleaned out and neither of us had to cook any supper. By the time we finished up the veggies and dip, bruschetta,  phyllo tarts, and part of a bottle of wine,  we were full. Two chocolate bars (left over from our shopping trip a week ago) and a cup of tea rounded things out quite nicely, thank you very much.

Later I headed home to clean up a few dishes I'd left in the morning as well as to make some soup for my lunches during the week. I made a quick and really easy Tomato, Corn and Black Bean soup that will be a healthy and filling lunch at work. (click on the recipe name to be redirected). It's time to make the effort, again, to eat healthy and shed a few pounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment