Monday, June 18, 2012

Monday, June 18th - an emotion filled weekend

It's a beautiful and sunny 10' this morning with just a slight haze rising off the river. It's promising to be a beautiful day with more sun and a high of 20'. Yes!!!

Friday I received an email from my friend Jana, regarding a friend of her dads, whom I'd had many chats with. He had passed away in London, Ontario  but  had deep island roots. The obituary didn't go into any detail but his mothers maiden name (and Doug's middle name) were Longworth. We have a Longworth Avenue in the old part of downtown Charlottetown so I imagine there might be a connection if you go back far enough. He would come to Guelph from time to time for meetings and once I knew I was moving to the island, we had many lengthy conversations about the place, He was a very well liked, and kind man and I'm sure he will be missed.

Then on Sunday morning I learned that my sister in law, Jean, had lost her battle with cancer. It's been a trying time for the entire family these past few months but now at last, she is at peace and free of pain. It seems like such a cliche to say that but I know it's true. I will always remember the brief time she spent here visiting the island in 2010 with her family. I had  hoped she might have another chance to return. My sincerest condolences to the entire family and the community, especially at Ebenezer Church, where she will be greatly missed.  I also have many fond memories but the most vivid are having here right there for Patti and I, during the birth of both James and Meghan. It meant so much to Patti to have a familiar and loving face on the nursing staff who unselfishly provided  extra personal care long after her shift was over, in her calm and professional manner. I remembered all the questions I had when I was pregnant so many years ago and she was always there to answer any and all. Rest in peace, Jean
 http://bluespringsfuneralhome.com/tributes6.html

I plan to fly to Toronto on Tuesday and stay until the funeral on Friday. Then Lloyd and I will start out together early on Saturday morning for his final trip east. It seems kind of fitting that we should leave Ontario for the last time, together, and head to our new life here on the island. Even though I've been here for 3 years, it marks a whole new start for the two of us.

We did have a great weekend. I made Peanut Butter Balls for Bernie (ok, so they were a week late) in the morning,  then the three of us headed out  on our bikes for points east! We drove to St. Peters, then went north to the shore and stopped for lunch in Neufrage at the Shipwreck Cafe. It was beautiful and sunny and a gorgeous day to tour along the water. From there we meandered our way along the coast to East Point where we stopped and chatted with some of the people who were milling around enjoying the day. We even ran into someone Brenda and Bernie knew as well as some tourists. After a lengthy visit there, we headed about 50 feet down the road (or so it seemed) to Brenda's friend Reika where we enjoyed a frozen treat. Reika is in charge of the volunteers for the Village Feast so I'll be hearing from her shortly!
An old photo of the East Point Lighthouse

After visiting there, we started for home, but not before having to give my bike a boost. It seems I left the key turned on and we were there for quite a little while. But booster cables were quickly brought out and soon we were on our way. Bernie followed me home to make sure I got the map out of the back of his bike (but I suspect he also wanted to make sure I made it up the driveway without dropping the bike - again!) He had a very valid point because this was my first time up the hill since that day and I was a little apprehensive but I made it safe and sound and was able to send him on his way.

Once I got inside, checked messages and determined what was happening this week, I took a drive over in the car to drop off Bernie's treats. Needless to say, they were much appreciated. A cup of tea and a bit more chatting and I made my way back home to check on flights, etc.

Blog posts may be slightly out of time this week but they will be there!




No comments:

Post a Comment