Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tuesday, June 5th - looks like I missed a great time!

It's a rainy 9' here this morning and will pretty much stay that way for the remainder of the day. But by the end of the week, things should improve considerably.

The stage at the foot of Queen Victoria's statue in front of the palace
I was watching the weather in London yesterday, and it was pretty much the same as here - not that warm and a little shower from time to time. That made me feel not quite so badly about missing the concert. It was a different format this year and I would have had to be in one of the parks to watch. The actual performing took place at  Queen Victoria's statue in front of the palace and those in that area needed tickets unlike last
Just one of the featured performers
for the evening

time when the ticket holders and the concert took place inside the palace grounds. I suppose 15,000 people traipsing across your garden might make quite a mess. Not so this time. I haven't seen much from it yet this morning but I did run across this early report and video. The aerial views of the Mall brought back some
This group of fans seems to be enjoying the show

very fond memories of the night we attended the same concert for the Golden Jubilee. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience - not really necessary to do it again, I suppose. Check it out:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/crowds-enjoy-queens-jubilee-concert-062021190.html

Now back to the real world ?

The baseball games in New York continue today. Yesterday they had a brief shower off and on but not enough to stop the play. James and company didn't have any games on line yesterday but they have two today - one at 11:00 this morning (noon our time) and another at 7:00 pm (8:00 our time).  I'll certainly be able to watch  this mornings at work. I think I'll put a 'Do Not Disturb' sign on my desk till it's over!

They haven't won any games but they have managed to score a few runs. Greg has always told the boys, since he started coaching them several years ago, that he doesn't care what the score is as long as they've played well and done their best. I think that's a pretty great attitude. Because like hockey, none of these kids are going to make it to the big leagues, so they may as well learn something meaningful from the experience other that the importance of always winning. Whether they win or lose, they're having a fabulous time and that's what matters - that they take away some wonderful, happy memories from this experience. They aren't the last place team, although very close, so even the coaches are happy with that.


Patti and Tristen were off to visit a Butterfly Conservatory yesterday. I suspect there are lots of touristy things to do in the area for the families that are visiting. I know in our group alone there are 13 families and if you multiply that by 104 each week for the whole summer, that's certainly a great business opportunity for the area.

Good luck today, boys!



I got an email yesterday from one of my old IAAP friends. It seems the 2014 Canada Districts Conference is going to be held on the island. I'm not sure who is hosting as we don't have a PEI chapter anymore but Lina is coming for a few days to check out venues and has asked if she can stay with us for a few days. Well, YEAH! I'm so glad she asked. She'll be here the week before our friends Judi and Gail arrive so August will be a busy month and we're really looking forward to it. I'll have to let Patti know that she needs to get her reservations in soon at the Denny B,B,L&S (that's Bed, Breakfast, Lunch and Supper!)





No comments:

Post a Comment