Monday, June 4, 2012

Monday, June 4th - day 3 in Cooperstown (and Sir Paul Day in London - but not for me!)

It's a bright 9' this morning but we're only going to a high today of 12' so it's a little cooler. Yes, sadly, Sir Paul will have to perform at Buckingham Palace without me this time - but I'm sure the other 1 million plus there will make my absence less painful!!!

It was a busy weekend here but even busier at Cooperstown Dreams Park!
We were texting back and forth on Friday as the gang made their way to New York in the rain, with hopes that it would clear up, (which fortunately, it has). Friday was also Lloyd's last day at Great Gulf. Well, it was his last day but he really wasn't there. He dropped Meghan off at school then got in work much later than his usual middle of the night arrival. Then he was gone shortly after lunch. They had cake and approximately 70 or 80 people gave him a great send off. They also did a You tube video with many best wishes from co-workers. It was a really nice thing for them to do and I know he will enjoy watching that from time to time over the next while. He was feeling a little lost on Friday night but it's a huge step. I didn't have time to think about it before I came here. I worked my last day, then went to my going away party right from work, and then James and I headed out on the road early the next morning. I didn't have time to give it any thought. But I'm sure in a couple of days it will all sink in - like this morning when he will probably wake up at 3:30 or 4:00 and not have anywhere to go. Good thing Tim's are open all night!

Saturday after work, I headed home to do some yard work after stopping at the store. We were planning to try a recipe we found in a Readers Digest from a newfie chef for Moose Burgers but lawns had to be cut first. I went over to the Van Gaals a little early and Brenda was out on the mower so I just went inside and turned on her computer to watch the opening ceremonies at the park in New York as they have a much
The proud flag bearer - love the hock stick
as the flag pole
better internet connection than I do. I was part way into it when Brenda came in and we watched together while munching on nacho chips and a beverage. It was quite the show, with all 104 teams marching into the stadium. James was carrying the flag so it was easy to tell which one was him. Once all the teams were inside, they invited the Guelph team to come forward and sing Oh Canada. I'm not sure the kids realized the impact of singing their national anthem in another country in front of such a crowd, but I'm sure it wasn't lost on the adults. Patti and I were texting back and forth throughout the whole event. Gotta love technology.  She says it's an amazing place and the boys (both big AND small) are having a blast.

Sunday morning was a little chilly so instead of motorcycles, we chose to take the bicycles up to the National Park for a ride on the paved bike trails that run along the north shore. We totally forgot that the Ride for Heart and Stroke was on and was also using that route but we were late enough getting started that the majority of the riders had gone past where we began. There were still a few that passed up and once the vehicles travelling at the end of the pack confirmed with us that we were not participating, we had the trail pretty much to ourselves for the rest of the day. We thought we would attempt the ride from Brackley over to Dalvay-by-the-Sea - a round trip total of 20 km. Could we do it? You bet. There were a couple of  slopes and some very strong head winds on the way out so it made the trip back that much easier! We
stopped in Cove Head and took a little rest then continued on to Dalvay. We had planned to have tea there but the restaurant had just closed. They're up and running but not on a full schedule as yet. But there were tea cups and a full tea pot out in the lobby so we just helped ourselves and toured around the building. I'd never been inside - just peered through the windows in the winter when up there skiing. It really is quite a lovely spot. After tea we headed back and stopped in Cove Head for some lunch. There's a little restaurant there that was open on our way back. We decided we will absolutely go back there. We shared a lobster roll and an order of fries and a couple of beers and it was pretty darn tasty. Sitting in the sun out on the deck didn't hurt either. But soon it was time to leave and head back. By the time we got home I was pretty tired. Brenda planned to take her motorcycle out for a little run but I chose not to go. I was physically tired and sleepy as well so I didn't think
The bike path in the park - a treat to ride on - that's Brenda
up ahead of me
that was a good place to be to head out on a bike. Bernie had performed his magic on Friday evening and wiggled and poked and prodded and mine started for the first time after it's little mishap last weekend. SO all is good. (Thank you again to the Van Gaals)

After a bike ride for her and Bernie, and a wee nap for me, we headed over to Donagh School for the second annual fund raising variety show. We were entertained with skits, music and dance. All in all a really nice evening.

Just before leaving to pick Brenda up my computer decided to cooperate and I was able to watch a bit of the baseball game being streamed online. I didn't watch the whole thing but I'll have that chance on Tuesday morning when I'm at work.



I got this photo from Patti last night. This is James with a 12 year old player from one of the opposing teams. James chose to carry the flag and sit out the skills competition because they had one too many players. I think I totally understand why now that I've seen some of the other players. Patti wonders - what on earth do they feed these kids???

No comments:

Post a Comment