Monday, May 24, 2010

It's been a productive weekend.



It's Monday morning and I still have one day left of the long weekend. My 'to do' list is long but so is my list of things I've gotten done. Friday afternoon Brenda called me at 4:00 to see what we were doing for Friday Feast. Needless to say, neither of us planned ahead. She had been working hard all day and didn't feel like cooking. So, she suggested maybe a pizza or something we could quickly put together whenever Bernie came in and we were ready to eat. I told her not to worry, I had it covered. On my way home I stopped in to Sobey's and picked up some nice fresh rolls, a chilled BBQ chicken and some pasta salad, and a head of romaine lettuce. So Caesar Salad, Pasta Salad and chicken on a bun became our tasty version of fast food. While we were chatting after supper, I learned that Brenda has a relative who owns a lovely inn on Nantucket Island! That's long been on my list of places I've always wanted to visit. I convinced her that some time we should do a road trip.

By the time we got everything cleaned up it was 10:00 so I headed home to finish getting stuff together for the yard sale on Saturday morning. I was up early in the morning and it was windy and cool but the weather was meant to get warmer. By the time I got to the rec centre it was getting a little warmer but the wind was still chilly. Because the sun was shining it was decided to set up outside. We all got our tables and started setting up. I was beside Marlene and her sister Thelma so I had someone to chat with as the day wen ton. When folks were setting up I saw an old dresser beside one persons table. I like that it was old and appeared to be made from solid wood. In spite of a scratched top, it was in decent shape and I knew just where it would fit. I asked how much she wanted for it and she said $25.00 and I said "Sold". People stated arriving around 8:30 and one of the first ones to get there was Richard. He was eyeing a drop leaf table and 6 chairs that was for sale. Then he saw the dresser and I told him I'd already bought it. He looked it all over and offered me $30.00 for it but I said "No thanks". As only Richard can experience, he found a tennis racket with three initials on it - that just happened to be his. It was a sign he was meant to buy it. Now he can pursue that tennis career!
Later in the morning it was pretty quiet, but we were eagerly waiting for the BBQ hotdogs that one of the school groups was planning to do. By noon there was still no sign of hot dogs being cooked. So Marlene asked one of the girls who had organized this event and she told us they had backed out on Thursday. Needless to say we were disappointed, not to mention, hungry. It's too bad that we hadn't known as one of us could have organized something. I called Brenda on her cell phone as I knew she was taking the boys out for lunch at the rec centre.

I didn't do too badly. I still had stuff left but I made enough to pay for my table and my purchases, with a little left over, so I considered the day a success.
I loaded everything left back into the truck and headed home. My goal for the rest of the day was to cut the grass. It hasn't been cut yet this year and badly needed it. Brenda had suggested on Friday night that often the batteries need to be recharged on the lawn mowers after the winter. I hadn't tried it yet so she said if I needed help to just yell. So early Saturday morning I took the cover off it and lo and behold, it started first thing. I was very pleased I didn't have to call in a favour. (I like to save those for more important things). So once I got home I started in right away. I made the decision to try to cut the grass out back of the shed. It's quite a large piece of land with weeds overgrown for who knows how many years. It gets quite thick early in the season and this was no exception. I had walked around much of it and it seemed to be not too riddled with rocks, etc but with the length of grass, you really couldn't tell much. There are lots of trees planted back there but there seemed to be just enough space to pass between with the riding lawn mower. I had tried once to cut it last spring with the push mower but it was just too long and thick. So, out I headed. I just went very slowly and did come across the odd rock, but nothing too serious. It took approximately 4 hours to finish but by the time I was done, it looked great. Now it will be much quicker to keep it short. It looks so much better, and it should help a little bit to keep the bugs down. Maybe the trees will even have a better opportunity to grow. They are only about a foot tall and by the end of May you can't even see them as the weeds around them quickly take over. By the time I was finished I was very tired. So I took a nice long, hot bath then watched some TV and that was my day. Sunday morning I still had some grass in front to cut but I was up by 6:00 and it was way too early to start up the lawn mower. So I worked at cutting some of the brush away from the side of the house, then when it got to be 9:00 I figured the neighbours had slept enough so it was time to get the push mower out to trim close to the house and those other places that the big mower can't go. I was outside from 7:00 till I came in at 11:30. I had a message from Brenda but I called her and left her a message that I had to go to town and would be back around 2:00. But she didn't get the message as she was on her way over with kayak in tow. I felt really bad not being able to go but I really needed to get some stuff done in town. So we planned to get together when I got back. Unfortunately my trip in town took longer than I expected and she got a better offer!! She headed out on her bike with her friend Bob, who just bought his bike from Bernie this spring. I actually passed them on my way home. It was a beautiful day for a bike ride. I was going to do some work inside, but it was early afternoon so I took the dog over to Lakeside and we went for a stroll on the beach. There were actually some people in the water but it had to be cold! It was pretty quiet and very windy. By the time we left I had sand everywhere - even my hair was full of sand. So I came home and once again had an nice hot bath. While I was in town I stopped at the Superstore and picked up a couple of lobsters for my supper. So I cooked them and ate them and I discovered something I didn't realize till right now. I think I actually like them better cold than hot. I'd never had them cold till I moved here but now that I've had both I think I prefer the cold ones.

After my feast I settled down to watch the first Sex and the City movie. I rented it while I was in town. Now I'm ready to watch the new one next week. Turns out I won't miss the chance to see it with Kim and her friends. They can't go on opening day so are waiting till next week which is great for me.
I know Brenda was planning to watch the finale of Lost last night. I hope it lived up to the hype.

I did find out something else interesting - Meghan (1) is also a fan of Gray's Anatomy!(yet another thing we have in common - your mom says it's a good thing we don't live close to each other - there's no telling how much trouble we could get ourselves into!)
Brenda told me she was talking to her about the season finale and she couldn't watch it all. It was very emotional. But Meghan, most of it turns out okay so you should really go online and watch it all. There are a couple of things that took place that you might need to know for next season.

One last note: a big thank you to Richard and Daralen. They stopped by on Saturday on their way to Campbell Cove. I was out bouncing around the back field on the lawn mower and I happened to look over and Daralen was standing in the back door way. They brought over a thank you card and two dozen pink carnations. I was confused because I thought, it's not by birthday or anything. So Daralen just said they were to thank me. I still didn't get it. I said "But I didn't do anything". Apparently they were for the microwave oven. There was certainly no need for that. My gosh, they were so helpful to us whenever we were staying in the bunky. We often borrowed things from them and we got all of our water from them as well. It was nice to have the opportunity to give something back. I certainly didn't need to be thanked. So thank you again.

Well, it's now 7:00 am and I have lots to do inside today. I want to clean up, get my clothes ready for the conference, finish the Anne hats for the girls, and I have minutes to do from our last meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment