Sunday, May 9, 2010

Save me some lobster - I'm on my way!

As I write this I am sitting in the Phoenix airport. Our flight is delayed by 1 1/2 hours but we have no idea why. I've called Patti and left her a message and I hope she checks with the airport before she drives to Toronto.
Yesterday was Saturday and we had a very lazy day in the morning, not heading out till just before lunch. We had a great lunch at a little Mexican restaurant. The food was very good and there was a woman making flour tortillas by hand along one wall. She was flattening them by slapping them back and forth between her hands, then cooking them briefly on each side on a round, flat grill. I asked if I could take her picture and she kindly obliged. After leaving there, we went downtown to see what, if anything, was going on. We found 4th Avenue, an eclectic mix of shops and restaurants. We parked the car and walked around for a bit then went back over to the area we explored on Monday. We sat outside at the little cafe we had coffee at on Monday and had a cold beer. We needed it, the temperature was 97 degrees. On the way back to the car, I said the absolutely unthinkable to Lloyd - I've had enough of the heat - I'm ready to go home. He just looked at me as those were words he ever expected to hear from me. I'm always cold and really like the hot weather but this was too much. I enjoyed it but by the end of the day, you ,are absolutely wiped out and I think it's the heat. It just takes so much out of you. It was nice to get away but now it's time to go home. I even checked my work email yesterday, something I haven't done since I left UPEI on Thursday night. Now I'm primed for some lobster! And I can't wait to see my silly little dog. I even found a sign in a gift shop that I just had to buy. It says "WARNING - overly affectionate Cocker Spaniel" - needless to say it was too appropriate!
We had a quite afternoon yesterday when we got back, and I had a nap while Lloyd read his book, then while he napped, I did some laundry and sorted out my stuff to pack for today. By the end of the night we had everything washed, packed and only the clothes we needed for this morning set out. We had the alarm set for 6:00 but we were both up by 5:15. We left the resort at 7:00 for the 2 hour drive to Phoenix. It was much quicker than the one down, and we had no accidents or sandstorms to contend with.

All in all, it's been a great week, but I'm ready to go home. I miss the green. Everything here, and I mean EVERYTHING, is some shade of beige or brown. The housing subdivisions are all the same colour and the ground is dry and brown everywhere you go. Throughout the week, we've passed numerous rivers, some that are even marked on the map, and there isn't a speck of water in any of them. In fact they all have vegetation growing in the bottoms. I much prefer the lush green we have at home this time of year. I know the leaves may not all be out yet but I know they will be soon and we'll have that to look forward to.

I've heard that people who love the mountains, don't much care for the ocean, and ocean people don't much care for the mountains. Having been born in the middle with neither ocean or mountains to influence my way of thinking, I now know I much prefer the ocean - and I can't wait to get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment