Wednesday, May 26, 2010

One more sleep to CDC!




I have to admit, for someone who was kind of iffy about attending, I'm now really looking forward to going to Regina. I'm excited to see all my old comrades from the Grand River Chapter again. They are a crazy fun bunch of girls and we've had some good times in the past seven years since I joined IAAP.

One of the things I was known for was dressing up in crazy get ups. So this year can't be any different. On Thursday night there's an Oscar themed party and guests are invited to dress as their favorite movie star. There are some girls who go all out and spend a fortune on their costumes so there is no competing with them. In some ways that's better because it takes the pressure off to try to compete so you can just have fun with it.

There are four of us going so I've made four "Anne" hats for us all to wear. I'm not sure if the others will wear their's Thursday night but we'll find sometime when we can all wear them. I have a flower print dress left over from my "Ms. Vista" days (a previous persona) and I'll wear that with my hat and my signature glasses. It won't be a prize winner but it will be a winner with my old group. The hats are all done except for the ribbon around the crown. I'll do that tonight when I get home. I finished up the hair on them last night after enjoying (yet again!) a tasty supper at the Van Gaals.

Yesterday was a busy day at work and today looks to be much the same, and then I'm away! I got permission from Tracey to come in late on Monday so I'm going to stay in Guelph Sunday night and come back the next morning. So it's kind of like a little mini holiday, getting to spend a wee bit of time with Lloyd and the Dennison family.

It's quite chilly this morning but I refuse to give in and put the sandals away. I know it's going to get warmer. I made my list of clothes to take with me on the weekend when it was really hot. Then I checked the weather for Regina and it's not going to be hugely warm so I may have to re-think some of my choices. The other thing is that I'll be inside most of the time and those conference rooms usually tend to be air conditioned and I find them chilly. On the up side, I saw a really cute cardigan at one of the shops at the airport last time I went through Toronto so I may need to pick that up on my way to take with me. Just to have as a back up, you know. Actually a cardigan isn't something I own, and now they are totally in fashion. How weird will that be - me being in style. High fashion isn't one of my forte's.

As I sit here writing this, I think if I ever got a job at the DVA, I'd know a number of the staff employed there. I'm sure at least 20 or more people who work there stop at Timothy's every morning. That's one of the things I like about this place - now a number of people say hello in the mornings as they walk by, simply by virtue of the fact that we see each other every morning. It's funny how you know people to see the, you see each other every day for sometimes years on end, yet you never know a thing about each other - not even your names. But then again, if Brenda were sitting here with me, she would likely know 75% of them, and who their families are. That still really amazes me. But I'm slowly starting to get to know people. Sometimes when I'm in Sobey's getting groceries, I'll run into someone I've met at the rec centre, or at the University and it makes you feel like a part of the community, just to be able to stop and chat with someone you've met before.

Im looking forward to sharing all of that with the Grand River girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment