Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Boy, do we have mosquitoes!



Conditions at 7:00 am - 18* and sunny
Expected later - 28* and sunny!

I thought we had mosquitoes last year, but I've never seen them like I had them this past weekend. On Saturday when Mark came over to look at the chimney, and when Linda came over later, there were literally clouds of them everywhere. So much so, that it looked like it was raining when you drove in the driveway. Earlier in the morning I was outside with the dog and every step you took on the grass released swarms of them. Linda couldn't believe how many were there. I really think we need to look at a mosquito magnet in the next couple of years. It's difficult to just get into the car as there are swarms around it when you try to get into it in the mornings. Then you spend the first ten minutes of the drive swatting mosquitoes inside the car.

Last night I got a call from Linda, who made it safe and sound to Stephan and Trish's. They were siting out on the porch and called to find out what we had for supper the night that Linda and Brenda were over for supper. All she could remember was the scallops and the dessert crepes, but neither of us could remember what we had for the main course. So I checked the blog and there it was - seafood linguine. She commented how much she really liked the dessert and I know Brenda loved it to, and I think one of them asked for the recipe but I can't remember which one, so here it is for anyone who wants it:


Strawberry Cream Cheese Dessert Crepes

2 cups strawberries, sliced
1 cup water
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 - 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp sour cream (I added a little more as I like the extra tartness)
1 tsp vanilla
4 dessert crepes (you can make your own or buy them ready made at the grocery store)
Chocolate sauce for drizzling

Mix 3/4 cup of the sugar, water and lemon juice together until the sugar disolves. Pour over sliced berries and refrigerate for at least four hours ( I didn't do this, I used them after about an hour) Stir at least twice to distribute the juices.
Note: for this step you may substitute frozen sweetened strawberries that have been thawed.
Using electric mixer, combine 1/2 cup sugar with the cream cheese, sour cream and vanilla. Fold in strawberries. For one serving, spread 3/4 cup of the strawberry cream cheese dessert mixture on one crepe and roll up. Repeat procedure for remaining three crepes. Drizzle each crepe with chocolate sauce and top with a dollop of whipped cream.

Yield: 4 servings (1 crepe roll each)

If you like cheesecake, you'll love the flavour of these. Unlike cheesecake, there's no baking needed. This dessert is certain to become one of your favorite no bake summer dessert recipes, that can also bring a little bit of summer to a drab winters day if you use the frozen berries.

It was a hit at my house, both times I served it.

Evenings at ny house are pretty boring these days, as I spend a couple of hours each night splitting wood. I'll be glad to get that job over.

Yesterday morning I had my job interview. I've really no idea how I did. It was two hours of questions like think back to a time when you used this skill to solve a problem...
After the fact you can think of all kinds of samples that you could have used but I'm not that good at thinking on my feet, especially when you are under a time constraint and two people are sitting there looking at you. But hopefully it went okay. I'll know within two weeks. They are hiring 15 people and I was the first one they interviewed, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I see that Korea viewed the blog last night so I'm not sure when Brenda gets home. I know it's one day this week but I can't remember which day. I had thought it was Wednesday but I don't think it will be but I might be wrong. I'll have to call Bernie and ask him.

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Sandy!

    That dessert does sound good, I remember Mom talking about it and I will definitely have to try it!

    Mom arrives in Toronto tonight (Wed.) at 7:50, and leaves Toronto Thursday morning around 8am, and will therefore be to PEI Thursday late morning! I'm going to go pick her up at the airport this evening for a little visit.

    Only one more sleep until you can hear all about the trip!!!haha

    -Meghan(1)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meghan - I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete