Friday, July 2, 2010

It was a busy Canada Day at the Denny household


Conditions at 7:00 - rainy and 12*
Expected later: mix of sun and cloud, high of 18*


What started out as a beautiful day, turned out to be a very productive day. Lloyd worked a bit more on installing the invisible fencing and I finished cutting the grass in the back yard. Part way through the morning we stopped to have some breakfast and I tried my hand at the Welsh Cakes recipe I'd picked up
at the multicultural festival. They turned out great. They are quite delicious and easy to make. They look like mini pancakes but taste nothing like them. They are fried but on an ungreased grill so fat isn't a huge issue (except for the shortening and butter used in the batter). These are not a low calorie treat, but a treat they are indeed. I had some dough left so I've put it
into the freezer to make more at a moments notice!

After eating "brunch" , we started working on the shelter. I have lots of things around the yard that need to be stored an
d not enough space to store them. So a few weeks ago I picked up a portable shelter to house some of those things. The hope is it will do fine until Lloyd can build a garage but that will have to wait until he retires. In the meantime this SHOULD work - but we'll see, come the first snowstorm.

It was a little challenging to build and we weren't finished until almost 7:00, when went inside to have supper. By the time it was cooked and we finished eating it was well past 8:00 and we were both quite tired, I suspect partly from being out in the sun all day long.
Brenda called to see if we had plans to go into town to watch fireworks. It was tempting but in the end we just didn't feel like it. Maybe next year.

Lloyd soaked in a hot bath and went to bed by 9:00. I was braising lamb shanks for tonight's supper so I stayed up till 10:00. This morning I could have quite happily just turned over and gone back to sleep when the alarm went off , but alas, that was not possible.

The upside is, yesterday felt like Saturday, and now it's Friday - I'd like more work weeks like this!

PS - welcome home Meghan (1) and friends !





No comments:

Post a Comment