Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Time to catch up




It feels like forever since I last posted something here but it's really only been 3 days. ( Sorry Meghan(1) and Lloyd - I know I let you down yesterday morning! ) I dropped Greg off at the airport this morning at 6:00 to catch a flight home. Patti and the rest of the gang are heading out this morning to catch the ferry to Nova Scotia. They were going to take the bridge but neither James or Meghan was with them when they arrived last week so they'll get the chance to experience the boat today. Then later this afternoon they are all flying back to Toronto.

They really were truly lucky with the weather. Although it was very warm, for here, probably not as bad as Ontario, and they had sun and heat every day. Last night as we were sitting around the bonfire, it started to sprinkle a bit of rain but it was around 10:00 and time to go in anyway. That was the first rain they saw, although Greg says they got a bit for a few minutes on Sunday when they were at the beach when I was taking John and Sarah and Patti to the airport.

She took them back at 4:30 and she was due to return to the island on the 11:30 pm flight. We checked the computer around 7:00 and it indicated it was delayed until 12:45, so I didn't leave to go in to pick her up until midnight. When I got there it was further delayed so I didn't actually arrive until about 1:45, so by the time they got off, and we got on the road, it was 2:30 when we got home.

I think everyone had a good time. There was a lot of beach visits and they visited a lot of them. The last one they went to was Lakeside yesterday, nice and close to home and they actually really liked that one. It goes out quite a ways with a nice shallow, sandy bottom and they loved it. There was just enough wind to whip up some waves and they spent the entire afternoon jumping into the waves.

A bonfire was possible almost every night in spite of winds in the daytime. Usually by around 8:00 at night the wind would die down and the conditions would be perfect.

Saturday everybody went out for the day and I stayed at home and baked some pies and made a nice supper for everybody and cut some grass. Then on Sunday we went out to St. Peters to have fish and chips at Ricks (after I went over to Brenda's to have coffee with her before she left). Everybody went off to Greenwich beach while I drove the others to the airport. But before we headed out to lunch, we set up the wood splitter and John and Greg and James had a great time playing with that. Boys and their toys! But I really do appreciate it. Greg even did some more on Monday morning while everybody else was slowly getting up. It's a nice little jump start for me. And what a great job of stacking - it looks amazing. Now the challenge is to do the rest as neatly!

It was really nice to spend some time with Jean. We were very close when I was married to Doug and that was the one thing I was sorry to lose when we split up. It was great to re-kindle that friendship and I think we'll keep in touch now. She wrote a comment in the guest book basically saying the same thing and she now understands why we wanted to move here. Maybe she'll be able to convince Cathy to come out, and maybe even bring her mom with her. I would love to see that, and I also told her to come out anytime she wants - she can just get Patti to fly her down.

This morning I have a job interview at 9:00. I assume there will be some testing of some sort involved as I was told it would be around 1 1/2 to 2 hours long. Hopefully it will go well. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Meghan (1) is back in Toronto and by now Brenda should be in Korea, I think. It's going to be a quiet week or so with her away. But Linda is here and I will try to get together with her later this week.

When I get home today, I will spend the time getting the house back in order and then Cooper and I will just settle back into our routine, although mine will now involve a bit of time splitting wood each evening for the next little while.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy!

    I was just talking to Dad, who had talked to Mom on Skype and she is in Korea!! A bit delayed but there safely. She should have a good week!

    Hope you have a good week getting back into the groove, I'm trying to as well.

    -Meghan (1)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan - thanks for letting me know she got there okay. I am envious of her and the amazing experience she's going to have! I can't wait to hear all about it!
    Have a great week.
    PS - are they veggies or weeds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone. My first morning in Korea. I had a great trip and it didn't seem as long as I expected. The Canadian portion worked out well and I delivered Ange to her daughter in Vancouver. Now tell me why all airports can't be like Chatlottetown, Very easy to get from one end to the other. We were treated very well whith wheelchair and Golf cart to get us to where we needed to go. On my flight over here I sat beside a very nice man. He was 45, is a Doctor of Chinese Medecine whomoved his wife and two Children to Surrey BC. because he wanted his kids to go to Canadian schools. He feels there is way too muvh pressure on kids here. Caitlin has been saying the same thing. Most of her students go to another private school after their normal school day. and then they have to do their homework . It is very common to see children on the streets at 11:00 because they are coming home from the extra school. I guess the suicide rate here among teens is very high. The Dr. works 2months and then goes to Canada for 2 Weeks. What a sacrifice they are making and all we do in Canada is complain about our school system. I was thinking he is just like a lot of Dad on the east coast traveling out west for work. Anyway had a great trip on Air Canada and I thought my meals were really good too.Now i am off for a nap and then to explore.

    ReplyDelete