Friday, July 23, 2010

It's Friday already...

Conditions at 7:30 am - 15* and sunny
Later- 23* and mainly sunny

It's amazing how fast the week goes by when it's only four days long. Yesterday was cool and rainy all day but today is promising to be nicer. I spent all last night cutting out squares for a 'quilt' of sorts that I'm making for Tristen's birthday. It's not a quilt in the traditional sense - it's called a rag rug quilt. It's the kind with the frayed edges on one side and the other side is neat and smooth, like the sample shown here. I had fun choosing the materials. One side has three different squares - one has dinosaurs, and the other two are solid colours to coordinate with the dinosaur print. But the dinosaurs aren't cartoony, they are more like a picture from a book, like a real dinosaur. The back side has two squares - one is a red plaid with a brown cartoon reindeer wearing a bright green tie and the other square is the same bright green. I think it's meant to be a Christmas print but it doesn't look Christmasy, but it's very cute. SO one side is for the little boy and the other is for the big boy, depending on his mood.

I cut out 96 squares last night and now they are all ready to sew. It's supposed to rain on Sunday so I think that's what I will work on, and if I keep at it, I should be able to finish the whole thing in one day. Once that one is done, I can start on James'. I did a little research and found some print materials that will work but I'm going to look around a little more before I make my choice. I know what James is like, and he's such a little packrat, that he'll still have this quilt when he's 80 years old, so it has to be something he can live with all his life!

Cooper still hasn't quite got the concept of the fence. I was out with him this morning and all of a sudden he was gone. I turned my back for a minute to get the garbage ready to take to the end of the driveway. I took a walk next door and there was no sign of him. I have no idea where he went but he eventually did come back. He had to cross the fence twice so hopefully he remembers. He was good last night - I left him outside for a while after I got home and he didn't venture anywhere near the boundary, but I think he just needs a few more reminders.

When I was in Souris at the Village Feast one of the fellows I was serving food with was a comedian (really!). He's part of a local group known as Sketch 22 and they perform every Thursday and Friday night at the Guild for the summer. We talked about the show and I think it may be a little like the old Second City group but I've been told it can be offensive to some. He even told me it was a little over the top at times but I told him I would check it out sometime. I had thought of taking Linda there this week but I think I'll go by myself first and see just what it's all about before I take anyone else. I was asking Tim Cullen at work yesterday if he'd ever been and he said no, but his parents had. His mom wasn't impressed with the language and the sexual content of some of it but his dad thought it was hilarious. I told Tim I would be okay as it takes a lot to offend me, having spent 3 years working in a jail. He was surprised at that and even more shocked when he asked what I did and I told him. Then he said, "man, you are the coolest grandma in the world". He said his grandparents were dead and wondered if I would consider adopting him as a grandson, just so he could say he was my grandson. Earlier in the week, I was in Kim's office and some guitar music was playing that she commented was really great. I said it was good but the player was 'no Eric Clapton". Then when Tim came in later and was in Kim's office he said the very same thing! Kim was surprised and said "That's exactly what Sandy said!"

Today we're having a picnic at work. We're bringing in lunch today and eating it outside. Last pay day it was Thai food and today it's going to be Lebanese. We're expanding the horizons of some of the people in our department who don't step out of their comfort zone very often when they choose food.

Raymond was going to come by on Tuesday night to install the pressure tank, but I haven't seen him yet. It was very hot and I suspect the bike took preference over working and I don't blame him. I haven't heard from him yet but I suspect he'll be around one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment