Thursday, July 15, 2010

It didn't live up to the hype



Conditions at 7:00 am - foggy, overcast and 18*
Later - 24* AND SUNNY FOR THE NEXT THREE DAYS!!!!!!!

Yesterday Patti called me at work to tell me they were going to New Glasgow Lobster Suppers last night. I went on line and looked at both that one and Lobster on the Wharf. Both had great reviews, a couple of not so great ones, but the big difference with Lobster on the Wharf is the fact that it's a buffet. There were complaints about New Glasgow taking too long to get additional servings of food, even though it is also all you can eat, but it's served. We thought the buffet idea would work better for the kids.

It was bucketing down rain when we got there and it was busy but not extremely. The girl who waited on us didn't seem very experienced and had trouble taking our orders for drinks, and sides. The salad bar was the serve yourself part. The chowder was also served but it took a long time to arrive, but we had our salad to work on. Eventually the chowder arrived. Once that had been consumed we had a very long wait for the main courses. At one point I asked one of the servers if she knew how long it might take, and she said it was slow because it was very busy, but there were all kinds of empty tables. By that time the food did arrive, the kids had been eating all kinds of rolls and bread and were really not that hungry anymore. I ordered the crab legs and they were very good. But then no one came to clear plates, shells, etc off our tables. Eventually Patti got up and took the plates and emptied them at the back of the room. Still no one came by. We had to just push stuff out of the way so we could find room for our dessert plates. It was two hours from the time we got there till I packed up the kids and took them home. I left the adults to stay and have coffee and the three kids and I hit the road. I figured the others had spent the entire day with them, so they might like a bit of a break, but I told them they HAD to come back!

When you consider the amount of money it cost for 6 adults and 3 kids we could have gone to a lobster pound and picked up a lot more lobsters and had a feast! We'll know next time.

When had an uneventful, albeit noisy ride home. When we got there two of them had fallen asleep so I woke them up, Meghan and Dianne went upstairs to the craft room to create something and I put Tristen in the tub with some of his toys. By the time the others did get back, (they apparently went for a tour around Cavendish and a walk on the boardwalk) all was quiet in the house - I'm sure it was a nice thing for them to come home to.

John and Sarah decided to spend a day or two in Cavendish and found somewhere to say over night. They took the truck with them so that worked well. That allowed for some changes in sleeping arrangements. Jennifer slept in the small room with Dianne and so Meghan slept in the bunky with me and Cooper. She quite enjoyed it out there. It may be an issue when her older brother gets here cause I know he likes to sleep there as well. But I'm sure we'll work it out.

They did Anne stuff yesterday and are doing more today. Hopefully the next couple of days can be beach days.

I had a chat with Tracey yesterday and she has extended my contract again. I told her I may have a full time job but it's not definite yet. So she has extended me to the end of October and if I get the other job I will resign at the end of August. If I don't, I'll stay till the end of October.

4 comments:

  1. Too bad about the Lobster Supper. I know they are no treat for me but there are a lot of people who just love them. My Aunt goes to the one in St Annes every year sometimes more than once taking all my cousins. She loves it but I wasn't very impressed. I finished my jam yesterday , 32 bottles. another job off my list. My lips are all blistered from my sunburn. Ill look great when I get to Korea. Hopefully they will let me into the country.
    Good news about your job, That will take the pressure off for a couple of months anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my what a terrible life you have to live. New Glasgow Lobster Suppers is a great Island business that serves 1000s of happy people every season. So sorry it wasn't up to the fast-food experience you were expecting.
    Remember when you think you can do better ... You'll have to include the mussels, coleslaw, rolls, potato salad, chowder, pop, water, crackers, butter for the lobster, butter for the rolls, lobster, tea, coffee, desert, reset the table, set the table, wash the dishes, etc etc etc. Oh, and it has to be done cheaply and terribly quickly or people will complain on the Internet.
    Please let us know when you have a handle on that and 100s of us will come over at s moment's notice :)
    have axwonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Darryl,
    If you read the blog, she was complaining about the service at the Lobster on the Wharf, not the New Glasgow Lobster Suppers. And I certainly don't consider over $300 spent on a dinner to be particularly cheap! In my world, that is a treat done on a special occasion, since not all of us can afford that on a regular basis.
    I was with the writer of this blog for this dinner, and I have worked in many restaurants in my time, as has the writer of the blog. I have a very good understanding of how much work is involved in restaurant service. I currently work in the service industry, and I can assure you that I would lose my job if I provided service like the service we received. I fully expect that what we experienced was not typical for this business, and the writer was reflecting our dissapointment at the service WE received. I'm sorry that you feel that we are not entitled to express this opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to clarify: It has been brought to my attention that we mistakenly identified Fisherman't Wharf (where we actually ate) with Lobster on the Wharf. No comment on Lobster on the Wharf was intended.

    ReplyDelete