Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Another sign of spring



Conditions at 5:15 am: -3' and clear with a bright moon and stars
Expected later: 1' and overcast with maybe some sunny breaks


Another quiet day yesterday - that is until I get home at night. The field across the road that runs along the river seems to be a favorite spot for Canada geese at certain times of the year and this is one of them. In the mornings and the evenings there are literally hundreds of geese out there. Every once in a while they all start honking and the sound is incredible. Even with all the doors and windows closed, you can still hear them. Sometimes some of them take off flying in large groups but there are still many hundreds milling about in the field. I'm not sure why they are there, although it is a protected area, according to the signs along the road. However, I doubt they can read that! It really is an impressive sight to see, although I wouldn't want to try going for a walk down there. I remember what the fields around the stream at the Correction Centre in Guelph were like, as there are huge flocks of geese that  gather there as well. We would sometimes go there to watch the kids play ball on the sports fields and you were very hard pressed to find a clean patch of ground to walk on or put your lawn chair. So it's nice to be able to see them but at enough distance that the mess isn't an issue.

It amazes me how much easier it is to get around town when there's no school. The traffic congestion in the mornings is almost non existent out on North River Road. I suppose when you take out all the cars that are driven by students, staff and add the school buses, it makes quite a difference.

Not much to report this morning. I think I'm going to the Van Gaals tonight to start working on their scrapbooks. Brenda brought hers over the other day and she has all her pictures sorted and ready to go. She's way more organized than most people I've met when they first start. All we have to do is choose paper for each page, (which she probably has done), and then work from there. I'll check with her later this morning and see if that's still the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment