Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What we see is what we get


Conditions at 5:30 am: -6' and partly cloudy
Expected later: -5' and partly cloudy

Yesterday the sun was shining for parts of the day so in spite of the radio telling us it was -5' with a wind chill of -10', it certainly didn't feel like it with the sun.
I had a interesting, although unpleasant, experience yesterday. One of the salesmen asked if I would drive downtown and pick up a lady who wanted to buy a car. He was a little skeptical that she said she couldn't afford a taxi, so his thought was how is she going to afford a car, but he gave her the benefit of the doubt and asked me to pick her up and bring her back to the dealership. I asked if she would need to be taken back home and he said she would. I suggested to him that he might want to take her for a test drive and then he could take her home, and he thought that might work. Well, I picked this woman up downtown, and oh, my gosh, the stench coming off of her was horrendous. Now I have a fairly strong stomach, and a pretty poor sense of smell, but the odour emanating from this woman was unbelievable. I don't think she's bathed in years. I had no way of warning the salesman so I sent her in when I got back. As luck would have it, the shuttle needed gas so I went to the wash bay and told one of the guys I required fuel and also to warn him about the smell.
I was sitting at my desk when the salesman came out of his office and took the paperwork over to the managers office and he just looked at me and rolled his eyes. I went into the managers office and he couldn't believe it either. He said he could barely breathe in his office, and I suggested he try sitting in a closed in car with her.  When Andy got back from the gas station, he said he had driven really fast back to the shop with all the windows open but it didn't help. Shortly after that it was time for her to be taken home. Needless to say, the salesman in question had absolutely no intention of getting into a car with her. So I drove her home and by the time I got there it was all I could do to keep from gagging. As soon as she got out of the car, I put all the windows down and drove all the way back like that. When I returned I parked it out front and left all the windows down. I went out a bit later and it still reeked so I went to the wash bay guys again and they had some sort of spray odour neutralizer that is meant for cooling systems so I sprayed it all over the seat she sat on and in a little while it the car usable again. I told the salesman in question that if he sells her a car he will have to drive her when she brings it in for service!  What a experience.Not one I hope to relive any time soon. It wasn't just the smell, but she rambled on and had some very strange opinions. I'd be surprised if she even has a drivers license but I don't suppose they can even ask that question as it's not a prerequisite to buying a car.
Today will definitely be a better day.




I was talking to Lloyd yesterday and he liked the picture of the hallway upstairs but he said it needed a chair. I asked why and he said that at Christmas when he and Greg are sitting around reading, sometimes you just need a quiet place to go and read a book. So I just happened to have a used rocker that I picked up last week so I put that up there. Lets see if this is what he had in mind. You can't see it in the picture but there is a small lamp on the bookshelf and in the day time you've got the window behind you as well for light.
A quiet place to read, complete with a trusty dog at your feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment