Thursday, March 24, 2011

We've escaped --- so far


Conditions at 5:15 am: -3' with a light dusting of snow on the ground
Expected later: -2' with a mix of sun and cloud

I watched the Toronto news when I got home last night and I couldn't believe the weather they had yesterday.  I called Lloyd and he said it was probably the worst weather he's driven in all winter. He looked out his window and it was still snowing, and unless someone plowed out the driveway, he wasn't going to be able to get out this morning. It had all filled in where his tracks were when he came home. Guess he has NO idea what kind of winter we had here! But then again I didn't have to try to get across the 401 with all the crazies who drive on there. Hopefully Meghan(1) didn't have to travel too far yesterday.

Then a little later I talked to Patti and she said the same thing. She was on her way to work but missed her flight because she was stuck in the traffic on the highway. Of course then they have to find other crew for the flight she's late for and then they reassigned her to another flight when she did eventually get there. Turns out the pilot was stuck in traffic as well so it made for lots of delays as I'm sure there were other flights affected the same way. Some of the little things that the public doesn't realize when their flights get delayed - it's not always just the snow itself, but the staffing of the plane as well.
I talked to Tristen, who was having second thoughts about coming to visit all by himself. He asked his mom what he was going to do if he missed her, but she assured him it would be fine. He asked me if he could have an Easter Egg hunt while he was here and I agreed that would surely happen and he seemed a little better with the whole idea. He told me he had a chance to try speed skating and I replied "You were speedskating?  Get out of town!" to which he indignantly replied "No, I'm not going to get out of town".  His main concern, however,  was how long it takes to get to and from Grandma's. When they came at Christmas, they flew to Halifax and stayed over night then arrived here. On the way home they drove to Ottawa, stayed over and then flew home. He was afraid it was going to take just as long again but his mom assured him it wouldn't be like that this time. It's funny what they remember about events and trips and in his mind it takes a really, really long time to get to Grandma's house.

Yesterday I was looking at some of the photos that viewers have posted on the weather network site and there's one of a seal pup on the beach in Rustico. That would have been quite a sight  for the kids to see. We'll have to see what sights we might be able to find while Tristen is here  to make it worth while doing all that travelling!.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandy!

    That's soo cute about Tristen, loved that story!! Yesterday, thankfully, I was working at a client where I could subway back and forth so I didn't get stuck in any traffic on the highways, it was really bad from talking to some of my co-workers. Sooo glad I didn't have to deal with that, although the subway congestion isn't much better sometimes...

    Hope you don't get the same weather. Have a good day!!
    -Meghan

    ReplyDelete