Friday, March 25, 2011

It's BAAAACK!


Conditions at 5:15 am: -3' and a couple of cm of new snow on the ground with more falling lightly
Expected later: 2-4 cm of snow and -2' - basically what we see, is what we'll be getting for the rest of the day

What a rude awakening this morning to see everything covered in  a blanket of snow!  I didn't see that on the weather network yesterday. In fact it said less than 1 cm - oops - guess they were wrong again. But not a big deal, it's not that serious, at least not yet! The up side, at this point, is it's not windy.

This has been such a quiet week, I have very little to write about. I did see an interesting sight last night. When I got home from work, I was outside bringing in some wood and I could see several flocks of geese flying from the direction of the back of our yard towards the river. They were all flying in V formation, and as I watched, there were more and more of them. I stood and watched as the V's came into view in the distance and there were dozens and dozens of groups of geese coming. I watched for at least 10 minutes and they never stopped coming. It was like every Canada goose in the Atlantic region was headed in our direction. As they flew over the house, they were an impressive sight and they were all headed to the river. There were literally hundreds of geese that passed by in that few minutes. You can only imagine the noise when they all landed and congregated on the water. I thought it was odd that there were no geese that I could see, down there, when I took the dog for his walk earlier. Guess they were all out for the day but apparently they have some sort of built in alarm that makes them all return at the same time. Curious.

There was an event going on at the Farm Centre last night at 6:30 put on by PEI Flavours and I intended to go but I got tired of waiting around for 6:30 to arrive and I was hungry and so I just went home. I could have gone and gotten myself something to eat to kill time but I forgot my wallet yesterday when I went to work, so I had no money, no debit or credit card so I was pretty limited in what I could do. I think they'll be having these events  again so hopefully I can make it to the next one. They're intended to bring together people who are interested in food - chefs, producers, basically anyone who has an interest in food. There were going to be some displays, I think, and various people speaking. Hopefully it was successful  and they do it again.

Well, better go and shovel off the patio so it doesn't turn to ice again, although it will likely melt over the next few days. Happy Friday everyone and have a great weekend.

PS - I stand corrected. By the time I left for work, it was more like a couple of inches or better of snow. More out our way than in town but an uneventful drive, except for the the pickup that had just gone into the ditch, that I passed on the way. Nothing like a sight like that to slow everyone down.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Just a note about those geese. They are coming from the corn fields behind our house. They sure are impressive when they all take off.

    ReplyDelete