Monday, May 30, 2011

It was a great weekend

 


Conditions at 5:15 am: 17' and overcast
Expected later: 22' and a mix of sun and cloud

Finally some decent weather on the weekend for a change. Friday after work I went for a beer with a few people from work. We didn't stay late, just one beer and then we were on our way but it was nice to get together in a social setting. There was me, the service manager and his daughter, who's working for us for the summer, one of the mechanics and the guy who looks after moving cars around the lot. I think we plan to make it a regular Friday night event for who ever wants to come out.

Saturday was quite overcast in the morning but cleared up somewhat as the day went on. When I got home from work, I cut some more grass. I'm still not finished, as I have the cutting around the trees to do with the push mower and hopefully I can get to that tonight. It was very calm on Saturday evening so I built a fire and burned some of the large pile of branches that have been sitting at the side of the house since last year. One more fire should finish it off. I would have stayed out later doing it on Saturday but the black flies got he better of me.

1/2 of the Lobster Eggs Benedict
Lifting the boats into the water
Sunday was predicted to be a nice warm and sunny day so Brenda and I planned to make the most of it. I worked on my weaving until she got back from church. I then went to her place and we headed out on our bikes. We drove back roads all the way as there's not as much traffic and we can just take out time and enjoy the scenery.  We were on our way to Georgetown but on our way through Cardigan, Brenda noticed a crane by the river. So we went instead to the restaurant that overlook the river and watched them putting the sailboats into the water. It's quite an interesting process to see them lift the whole boat up with the crane and put it into the water, then lift the mast with the crane as well and put it in place. We had a lovely breakfast - Lobster Eggs Benedict. It was really quite good. At first I wasn't sure about the combination of eggs and lobster but after a couple of bites, it worked. It just wasn't a flavour combination I've experienced before. After breakfast we took a walk down to the dock to watch for a while then we hit the road again.

We continued on to Montague and made a quick stop at my friend Donna's. From there we planned to head back but part way home we realized that Brenda was running very low on gas and the closest place was to go back to Montague. After gassing up we headed back towards home again. We drove down some very pretty roads with wonderful scenery that I've not been on before.  We didn't go that far but we managed to go a little over 100 kms.

I took my bike home and Brenda went home and we both got ready to go kayaking. She picked me up shortly after we got home and we headed to the Johnson River. This was our first time out on the water this year. It was still lovely and warm with a bit of a breeze. We saw the largest beaver dam I've ever seen in my life. There were two together and one was huge. You have to give these little animals credit for the hard work they do.

We didn't go too far but managed to be out about an hour and a bit. We headed back to the bridge as the wind had picked up and it was going to be difficult going and quite frankly we were both a little tired. So we loaded up the boats, dropped Brenda's at her house and I picked up my car. We got back here and had some nachos and salsa and a glass of wine. After she left I sat outside for a little while and read my book then came in and had a nice warm, relaxing bath. It was a little too relaxing I think because I went to bed at 8:30 and slept till the alarm went off at 5:00.

This morning is overcast but warm and it's going to get warmer so I think I might actually tackle taking my bike to work this morning. Wish me luck!


3 comments:

  1. You made it!! Congratulations. What did Wilbur say? FYI for the future. The last thing we do on Sunday will have to be our story. Bernie asked me about our day and then 5 minutes later he comes back into the kitchen and says. "Well she is telling the same story". so whenever we have something to hide we will have to work on "The Story"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha that's funny. It hasn't been an issue up till now - in fact I never even thought of it. But then how much trouble can two older ladies get into!

    ReplyDelete